Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New reference book purchased

susanhemmings

short history of the 39th division.

lists of wounded, killed etc. for

179th - 174th - 186th - 184th battalion RFA and 39th Div. ammunition column

also 39th Div. Trench Mortar batteries - usual MM and MID lists.

lookups offered

susan. :)

Hi Susan,

I know its a long shot,but can you please look up for me any mention of either John Deal or his brother William Deal,both served as gunners in the RFA and came from the Depford/Peckham area,I'm affraid I don't know what battery they served with.

I know that a lot histories do not mention O.R.s,like I said,it is a long shot but you never know :)

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards.

Stu

Hi Susan,

I know its a long shot,but can you please look up for me any mention of either John Deal or his brother William Deal,both served as gunners in the RFA and came from the Depford/Peckham area,I'm affraid I don't know what battery they served with.

I know that a lot histories do not mention O.R.s,like I said,it is a long shot but you never know  :)

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards.

Stu

Stu,

I have a PDF copy of this volume it's around 100 pages. The book does have a small appendix of award winners and casualties, but using the search facility I can find no ref to either of the men you mentioned. But you might have sharper eyes, it can be downloaded for FREE (that won't please Susan), have a look at the "archive.org" thread under the "Documentary Repositry/Websites section of this forum, which if I've copied correclty is here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...ndpost&p=325873

Regards,

Chris.

Stu - Sorry for the delay in replying, but have had to limit myself on the computer (especially this site - I am on here for hours!) anyway here goes.

As Chris rightly says there is no mention in the book but from the National Roll of Great War can see reference relating to:

DEAL J in volume 13 (London) page 127

DEAL W in volume 13 (London) page 127

maybe someone here can let you know just what you will find out about these two lads from the relevant book/cd (volume 13). Maybe from this you would get their battalion??

or try getting their MIC from National Archives site. Again, someone here will be able to interpret these for you.

Maybe if Chris reads this again he will be able to advise.

And Chris - I was not displeased at knowing about this reference, I think its great that someone can get something free (even if its not me!!!) no seriously, it is very nice to know. Thanks for that.

Susan.

Hi Susan and Chris,

Many thanks to you both for your replies,I will download the book shortly and have a good look.

Susan,thanks for checking the National Roll,I have these entries already,unfortunately they do not mention any batteries they served in.

My great uncle William Deal DOW in 1918,he was at time of his death serving with 156 Bty RFA,but he was however a pre-war regular,and as his records didn't survive I can't find out who he originally served with at the outbreak of war.

My grandfather John Deal served for a while in the MEF with the RFA,but I'm also led to believe also in F+F,again unfortunately I also do not know which battery he served with.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Stu

Stu,

Sorry could not be of more help to you.

Susan.