Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter A Bridge, Royal Irish Rifles, POW

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Does anyone have any information on 11/44175 Rifleman Walter Alfred Bridge, 12 Bn. RIR formerly 1/18/8105 18th Bn. London Regt.

He was born and enlisted in Battersea. His parents lived at 16 Mathews St., Latchmere Estate, Battersea, London.

He was a POW and died on the 30th June 1918, aged 20. He is buried at Niederzwehren Cemetery, Kassel, in Germany.

This is all I have been able to find out about him. I do not know when he became a POW.

I was hoping that someone may have information on him in a publication like the National roll of Honour.

Thanks for looking,

Any info would be great.

regards,

Stewart

I am taking a chance here but I would guess that your man was scooped on March 21, 1918 on the first day of the March Offensive. 12th RIR were in 36th Ulster Div sector of the 5th army front near St. Quentin. Like many bns. that day, there were some good stands made but essentially, the Germans swept over and around the unit and a large number went into captivity.

I can certainly say that, from a local point of view, I have details of a great many men who went into the bag that day.

The prison camp you mention also seems to contain a sizeable number of prisoners from Irish regts. It crops up time and again when it comes to men who died while in captivity for various reasons.

I will try to post a link to the day in question.

Des

Follow link below for home-made version of 12th Rifles on that day.

Also search for 'English casualties of 12th Royal irish Rifles' - go back a fair way in the search criteria!!

Or search for key words 'March Offensive' .. should throw up plenty.

Best wishes

Hello Des,

Thanks very much for the reply, I will have a good search through the site and see what I can find.

As you will understand, I am keen to find out more about the man and his life, prior to and during the war. His RIR number seems to indicate that at some time he was with the 11th Bn. Were many men transfered from the London Irish to the RIR ?

Regards,

Stewart

I guess he was probably transferredfrom 11th to 12th when the former was disbanded in the restructuring of the army late in the war.

On the whole issue, I'd say soldiers were being shuffled to wherever suited the army by that stage!!

Best wishes.

des