Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

30th Remount Depot

treetop

I am researching my maternal GF who served with the above ASC unit in France from mid Jan 1915 until his death in April 1916. Whislt I have looked at posts showing ASC numbers and googled for this I have not been able to find out where it was situated in France.I have also written to RASC in Deepcut and await reply. I suspect it was around Calais but can anyone shed any more light for me? thanks in advance

This may not help much, but in 1915 the Canadians decided they needed to form a Canadian Remount Depot. The first entry in their War Diary reads as follows:

16 May 1915 : The Canadian Remount Depot landed in France at Dieppe. They proceded out to the little village of Hautot near where the British Remount Depot had already taken over a farm which they had converted into a Depot. This farm is about 3 miles S.W. of DIEPPE.

The Depot was commanded by Col. the Baron de ROEBECK and was composed of three British remount squadrons.

Of course, I am not sure if this is the particular unit you are after, but I suspect it was the only Remount Depot in France at first. Later diary entries hint of another later on at or near Calais.

Thanks jh,it may help me to dig little more when I get the chance to visit NA. Time corresponds with when GF was sent to France in Jan 1915. He only enlisted in Dec 1914 days after birth of his 4th child and appears to have been shipped out pretty sharpish His occupation before the war was cartman for a provisions dealer so it seems his experience driving and handling horses was in demand (unfortunately).

My Army Lists (1914&15) list Remount Depots, but they don`t go up to 30 and all appear to be in UK. It may be worth looking in a late war Army List. You never know! Phil B

The "30" may relate to the Remount "Squadron" rather than the Depot. I think I saw a reference to a 31st Remount Squadron of the 3rd Remount Depot near Dieppe. I may be mistaken.

My Army Lists (1914&15) list Remount Depots, but they don`t go up to 30 and all appear to be in UK. It may be worth looking in a late war Army List. You never know! Phil B

Puzzles me also.All the lists i have seen exclude the 30th remount but he arrived in France mid Jan 1915 and was killed mid April 1916 so he was clearly part of some unit. Story in the family is that he was killed by an incoming shell exploding whilst pulling a gun carriage. The remount depot/squadron near Dieppe (buried in Calais cemetery) seems favourite but plan to go to N.A to dig deeper,thanks all