Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Loyal Lewis" DCM Mystery

dom

I am looking for infomation on the following Seaforth Highlanders DCM citation.

L/Cpl Malcom Macleod,9007,8th Seaforth Highlanders.

killed in action 20/8/17. Tyne Cot Memorial.

There are a few references to his DCM. The CWGC, 1921 ed Stornoway Roll of Honour and on a list of WW1 awards published in the 50s Stornoway Gazette (from a list supplied by Fort George regimental museum).

Unfortunately There is no mention of it in the London Gazette, SDGW and his medal index card has MM in the relevent place.I am as confused as ever.

I would be most grateful for any information that may enlighten me.

Dom,

In Walkers "Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914 - 1920" there are 4 Macleod's in the Seaforth Highlanders

3/7171 Sjt K. Macleod

528 Sjt N. Macleod

S/9886 Cpl A. Macleod

8770 Sjt D. Macleod

But no L/Cpl Malcolm Macleod unfortunately.

Andy

found this on the online MIC

Description Medal card of MacLeod, M

Corps Regiment No Rank

Seaforth Highlanders 9007 Lance Corporal

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Dom,

In Walkers "Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914 - 1920" there are 4 Macleod's in the Seaforth Highlanders

3/7171  Sjt K. Macleod

528      Sjt N. Macleod

S/9886  Cpl A. Macleod

8770      Sjt D. Macleod

But no L/Cpl Malcolm Macleod unfortunately.

Andy

Thanks andy.

I think with the amount of Macleod"s that served in WW1 there is bound to be some confusion over medals so i m giving up on this one.

Regards

Stan

found this on the online MIC

Description Medal card of MacLeod, M

Corps Regiment No Rank

Seaforth Highlanders 9007 Lance Corporal

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23 

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Thanks John

I think this one will have to remain a mystery.

regards

Stan

• 1 month later...
I am looking for infomation on the following Seaforth Highlanders DCM citation.

L/Cpl Malcom Macleod,9007,8th Seaforth Highlanders.

killed in action 20/8/17. Tyne Cot Memorial.

There are a few references to his DCM. The CWGC, 1921 ed Stornoway Roll of Honour and on a list of WW1 awards published in the 50s Stornoway Gazette (from a list supplied by Fort George regimental museum).

Unfortunately There is no mention of it in the London Gazette, SDGW and his medal index card has MM in the relevent place.I am as confused as ever.

I would be most grateful for any information that may enlighten me.

Stan

The Award of the Military Medal for this lad is correct, the link below will take you to hie London gazette entry for his M.M., he may have been recommended for the D.C.M.,, but was given the lesser award of M.M......I have found lots of cases like this......the CWGC entry for D.C.M. could be a mistake....or just a thought, this lad was an old soldier having served on North-West frontier of India, could his D.C.M, not be an early award, won in some earlier campaign.....he would after all be allowed to carry the letters D.C.M. after his name, no-matter when he won it.....personally, I think the D.C.M. on the various Rolls and CWGC are a mistake and should state M.M.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Regards John.

or just a thought, this lad was an old soldier having served on North-West frontier of India, could his D.C.M, not be an early award, won in some earlier campaign.....he would after all be allowed to carry the letters D.C.M. after his name, no-matter when he won it.....personally, I think the D.C.M. on the various Rolls and CWGC are a mistake and should state M.M.

The London Gazette entry doesn't show a previous award after his name and thus I agree with your final sentence that the DCM entries should read MM.

Steve

Hi

Thanks for info,Yes as the evidence now builds up it definately seems to be a MM and not a DCM.My next step is to see if he was awarded the IGSM 1908 bar.Thanks again.

Regards

Stan