Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

buses on the somme

trenchwalker

hi all can anybody tell me if there is a bus from amien to albert on the somme is there a bus time tabler anywhere? martin.

I am staying in Peronne, is car the best bet to get around? what would be the considered best method of transport? Parking etc

John

Amiens - Albert (and through to Lille Flandres) trains are about every two hours. There are also trains from Amiens to Peronne which I believe stop at or near Villers-Bret. Buses also connect Amiens with TGV Haut-Picard near Peronne.

There are also trains from Amiens to Peronne which I believe stop at or near Villers-Bret.  Buses also connect Amiens with TGV Haut-Picard near Peronne.

There is no railway station in Peronne; it closed quite a few years ago. There are special bus links from Amiens to TGV Haute-Picardie, which is some miles south of Peronne, but no link train - thus the bus. If you are based in Peronne your only option is a car really.

ALBERT RAILWAY STATION

While you're in Albert, going to the station, have a good look at its interesting architecture. And... there is a 1936 aeroplane hanging in the station hall.

Enjoy!

Fred

Fred,

Yes, us British are well used to gazing at the superb architecture in many of our stations, as we usually have a lot of time available to look around, because the trains never run on time, and also gazing at the features can help take away the pain of having been ripped off by extortionate rail fares...!!!

Rob.

Rob,

It is the same in Holland. The trains hardly ever run on time since they have been more or less 'privatised'. The government, the previous 'owner' had thought that by doing this they would invite 'competition', which is strange in a kind of monopoly position.

Owing to reckless behaviour of car drivers resulting in collision with trains and pure vandalism, not to mention autumn leaves on the rails and frozen points, the situation has not improved.

One advantage of trains in Albert is that they seem to run on time and that there is a variety of engines and colours to keep you occupied if you are a railway buff as I am.

All the best, and don't forget to have dinner at the Grand Hotel de la Paix.

Fred

I am staying in Peronne, is car the best bet to get around? what would be the considered best method of transport? Parking etc

John

Given the number of small villages on the Somme battlefield and the number of locations away fro the main Albert to Bapaume Road, unless you like walking and have plenty of time, a car is pretty essential. That or an organised tour.

Parking is not usually a problem, but note recent posts about cars broken into at Thiepval memorial.