Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'They Took the Lead' (Orient in the Great War)

cockney tone

I have just discovered that the said book is being launched in early December, the flyer I have picked up states;

"For the first time ever, the story of Clapton Orient's involvement in the Great War, as told through contempory reports, eye-witness accounts and letters from the front. Packed with over 100 images and comprising of 176 pages, They Took the Lead is a must-not only for the true football supporter, but also for everyone interested in local or WW1 History"

Clapton Orients players apparently joined en masse the 17th Middlesex (The Footballers Battalion)

Copies are available from the author, Stephen Jenkins, 73 Havering Gardens, Chadwell Heath, Romford, Essex, RM6 5BH.

Book priced at £9.99 plus P & P (1 book £2.50, 2 books £3.50, 3 or more books £4.50) Cheques payable to S Jenkins.

I have ordered a copy and will post a review in due course, and I will post details of the book launch which I understand will be before a game at Brisbane Road in December.

Regards,

Scottie.

I saw some info on WW1 Orient players on their website (or was it one of the unofficial ones?). I'll have to get myself a copy of the book.

It's nice to see us leading the way this season

COME ON YOU O's !!!

Mick

• 1 month later...

Pal's,

just to bring this to the top again, the Book was launched after the Orient home game on Saturday (we won't mention the score), half way through it and finding it really interesting so far,

Cheers,

Scottie.

I saw some info on WW1 Orient players on their website (or was it one of the unofficial ones?). I'll have to get myself a copy of the book.

It's nice to see us leading the way this season

COME ON YOU O's !!!

Mick

You told me you supported the club just down the road from the O's :ph34r:

Thanks Scottie - I will be purchasing a copy.

• 1 month later...

As I am about half way through this book I thought I would bring it back to the top. The downsides are the book isnt written in a "conventional" manner and uses a lot of anecdotes arising from the author's reasearch, and it probably lacked a proof reader as well. You sometimes wonder where teh author is going and what was the point of writing that ... but all that said the upsides are that the author obviously has a passion for the O's and has assimiliated a lot of interesting facts - has even made me interested in the Os history.

I guess the book can best be described as a bucket full of facts and information that would interest those with a Great War and football interest.

One thing I find quite ironic is that the book is about the Orient and stretches across the local community of Homerton, but the three footballers killed were either born or bought up in the North-east and most of the central characters are from everywhere but London!