Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Important news- Dover - Calais

iain mchenry

Just reading the news page on www.hoverspeed.co.uk It looks like Hoverspeed is terminating its Dover - Calais Seacat operations as of 07 November 05. They have stated it is due to lack of traffic (even though 2005 has seen a 17% increase) and an increase of fuel prices by 54% in the last year. Another cheap and reasonable way of crossing the channel bites the dust :(

Iain

yes, they were full of it last week at Dover.

I don't understand their problem as SpeedFerries is full to the gunwales.

Perhaps they will buy at least one of the Hoverspeed cats!

It seems that they have gone out of business altogether, as they also abandoned the Newhave-Dieppe route a while back.

Pity

Shame,

Another cheap route over to France gone, possible the other routes will push the prices up a bit on the strength of this, who knows. Sorry to see it go though.

Andy

And Eurotunnel is going broke, although that is not likely to disappear, more likely a debt for equity swap.

We are travelling on Norfolk Line to Dunkerque for this weekend because they will do us returns for £36 each, as opposed to the £60 that P&O were asking.

I have to say though, that whilst cheap is good, I can't see any profit for Norfolk in £36 and unless we are all prepared to pay a viable price then these services are going to disappear. Don't forget that even the mighty P&O have pulled out of the western channel crossings so nobody is immune to economics.

If you want viable prices have a look at how much P&O charge to cross from Denmark to Sweden and then look at Calais-Dover (a roughly similar distance).

You could have a holiday on the difference in price.

How on earth they all manage to say with one breath that the Channel is the biggest crossing in the world and then with the other try to say they can't make a profit is a complete mystery.

One reason is that P&O have insisted on buidlign boats so big they can barely get in and out of Dover (and can't in a gale) and spent a fortune that was quite unnecessary on doing it. Now they want the passengers to pay.

Norfolk Lines £36 is still rather more than the aforesaid Denmark-Sweden.

BTW, the bargain prices you mention are only for booze cruising Britain to France. The other way, forget it.

I suppose Sea France is no better but have never been on it. Next fall my British pal and I are chunelling, I really like to eat on the big P&0 boat. Only been in chunnel once before 1st class on Eurostar, now that's a terrific train.

May go only once next year, we are spending a week on the Aisne and Argonne Forest.