Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deeds That Thrill The Empire

Paul Johnson

Whilst clearing out my loft I found a small treasure. The first 12 copies of Deeds That Thrill The Empire.

I was thinking about making them available to the Pals but would there be any copyright issues by scanning and displaying them on this site?

They make fantastic reading and each story could be researched in some depth now that we have access to so many records.

Your views please. Could the Moderating Team please let me know if these scans would be acceptable. I would not want anyone (especially me) with a lawsuit on their hands.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :)

post-1368-1131194922.jpg

Paul,

a Google search has interesting results.

As far as I can follow, H. & Co. were bought by RANDOM HOUSE publishers, who were taken over by Bertelsmann AG.

I think a Library ought to be able to help you with the copyright issues.

Kath.

Thanks Kath.

As far as I am aware if a publication is more than 50 years old then copyright does not apply, but I could be wrong.

PAUL J

Paul,

I think you are right - when I wanted to use some material from the Michelin Guides to Ypres (published 1920) I asked the current publishers, who wrote back that copyright had indeed expired.

Alan

According to the link it is 70 years after the last of the original authors dies. So if the author died in 1950 copyright would not be up until 2020. My advice is if you have to ask the question, don't do it.

Andy

Why not ask Random House, if they own bought the company who originally publisehd it?

I've also taken this approach with reproductions from one book, and got a very nice response from the very large publisher who had purchased a smaller company several decades ago.

They said they could not locate any records about the book I was interested in, and so whilst they could not approve my use, neither did they object to it.

I suspect soemthing like "Deeds that thrilled the Empire" does not list individual authors - correct me if I am wrong.

You need to make reasonable efforts to trave copyright, and I suspect the above (particularly as it would not be published on this website for commercial gain) would be seen as reasonable.

Alan

Hi

I think Deeds Wot' thrilled the Empire is being republished by Navy and Army Press so you better tread carefully, ask them.

Gareth

Naval & Military Press was who I asked about reproducing items from the Michelin Guide to Ypres........they had no problem.

Paul, if no luck here, depending on total size I can probably host your scans elsewhere, and we can put a link here if that is acceptable.

Alan

Paul,

As you will have seen, copyright is a complex subject and keeps many thousands of IP lawyers in lucrative employment. ;) As others have said, at its simplest, for any literary work copyright lasts for the duration of the author's life plus 70 years after their death. However where the author is not otherwise identified, the copyright only lasts for 70 years from the date of publication. As it has been suggested in this thread that the latter is the case with this book, then it would have come into the public domain some years ago - which might explain why Naval & Military Press are re-issuing it.

You may also find the government's IP website of interest Intellectual Property. It also has some useful links.

Cas

Hi

Never make posting late at night from memory, it was indeed Naval & Military Press who republishing "DWTTE" , a thousand apologies.

Gareth

I myself contacted the recent re-publishers of 'Deeds' for my book. They bluntley said 'no' in regards to permission of including the images of the VC winners of the Lincolnshire Regiment in the book.

There wasnt really much i could do about that.........but it hasnt stopped many other authors e.g Howard Williamson. Perhaps I should of said b******s to them.

Does this rule now mean I can take any work that has expired copyright reprint and claim it as my own?

It is my opinion that it is not right for publishers to claim copyright on old regimental histories. It can be argued that these works are in fact the property of the regiment. For example Lincolns histories would belong to the Anglian Regiment or the OCA.

Steve.

I myself contacted the recent re-publishers of 'Deeds' for my book.

Steve.

If re-published they have mechanical copyright for their print run.

Not copyright of the origionals. (Assuming that the origioanl is out of copyright.

The 70 year rule came in during 1985. Eg. H G Wells died in 1946 and just came in under the new rules so stayed in copyright.

Anything alredy out of copyright did not become retrospectively in copyright - once out it's out.

So if the author died before 1945 it's out of copyright, after it is +70 years.

zoo

Thank You everyone for your kind responses and advice.

Whilst I would like to share these images with you here it may be better to display them elsewhere and offer you a link to them. That way it keeps the Forum in the clear. The copyright laws are complex and I would not want to place Chris or any other member of this Forum in a position where they may face legal action.

Thank You Again.

PAUL JOHNSON :rolleyes:

Hi

I think Deeds Wot' thrilled the Empire is being republished by Navy and Army Press so you better tread carefully, ask them.

Gareth

If they're reprinting it's a pretty sure sign that it's out of copyright!

Just checked the only book I have from this company and there is no statement in it regarding copyright. First published in the twentys the author died 1932. All his books have been published.

Regards Charles

steve,i asked ray westlake about these,and he said that i can reprint them if i want,because the copyright has run out,but in order to create my own copyright,i would have to add/change something in them,the reprints by N+M are the original mags but with added info,which makes the reprint different from the originals,so its now a new publication,i have all these except issue number one,dont suppose you have number one by any chance,bernard

steve,i dont think N+M can stop you,they only own the copyright on the reprint not the originals,i think its well worth checking this out,they were printed during ww1,bernard

Agree wholeheartedly with Bernard's two comments above. From my five-year stretch in publishing that is my understanding of the situation.