Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newspaper Photograph

Stephen White

From time to time, the local weekly free sheet, The Telford Journal, has a "remember when" supplement. On this occasion, one of the photographs is of a group of Dawley Men in uniform outside one of our locals, The Elelphant and Castle, not even 1/2 mile from my house. The pub has not changed much from the photograph.

In the past week I have had cause to photograph the local War Memorial, in the Parish Council offices, which are not even 100 yds from where this group of men are standing.

It made me think, how many of those men in the photograph are now on that memorial and how many made it back to drink in their local again?

None of the men in the photograph are named, but the photograph is dated as 1914!!

Stephen

post-1512-1131135199.jpg

This pic is to be found in recent book on Dawley (horrendous title):

"Owd Jockeys at War - the remarkable story of the Dawley News" ISBN 0954853008 by Toby Neal , 2004 (£14.99).

Pic on page 4.

details quoted directly:

" 4th Batt KSLI, 1914, sign in background says C coy. In his 99th year Cecil Bland of Dawley... who saw the photo being taken recalled the territorials used to go to Barry camp evry year, they were called back given 48 hours leave and sent to Honk Kong. Soldier on extreme left standing is Cliff Ball who was acorporal at the time, later he had a wholesale grocery shop in dawley. Standing in doorway (ie civilians) are Joe hall and his wife - they ran teh elephant and castle and next soldier..is Harry Poole for hOrsehay (the third soldier standing from right)...on teh far right with hand on hip is Tommy Skelton. he lived at eh rough ground at eh back of teh royal exchange in a row theer. Second form left of the four soldiers of eh middle row is Alf 'codge' Roberts, on the bottom row and extreme left (half kneeling with moustache is TommyJones of old park. fourth form left is Alf 'codge' Corbett, teh gym instructor...fitfth from left is Tommy Price form Horsehay and the soldier crouching far right is Harry Skewlton, Tommy Skelton's brother. teh only other I know is Liz gears of Horsehay who is extreme right with a hot.

Doc

This pic is to be found in recent book on Dawley (horrendous title):

"Owd Jockeys at War - the remarkable story of the Dawley News" ISBN 0954853008 by Toby Neal , 2004 (£14.99)

Doc

I agree on the book title, but unfortunately that's the way they speak round here. The photograph was in the newspaper supplement accompanying an article on the book.

Of the men you named, I've just looked at my photograph of the memorial. There's a T. Skelton and T. Jones. So it looks like Tommy Skelton and Tommy Jones, never made it home.

Stephen

Journal reprint of 4th KSLI available for a couple of pounds from the regimental museum in Shrewsbury. My grandfather served in KSLI late 1918-19 into occupation of the Rhine. Lived in Lightmoor ("The poplars", just over railway crossing on the right going towards Ironbridge - house still there - some sort of social work centre?)

Doc

Journal reprint of 4th KSLI available for a couple of pounds from the regimental museum in Shrewsbury.  My grandfather served in KSLI late 1918-19 into occupation of the Rhine.  Lived in Lightmoor ("The poplars", just over railway crossing on the right going towards Ironbridge - house still there - some sort of social work centre?)

Doc

Doc

IF, I've got the right place, that might be the "Project Centre" for a group of self build house's, built behind it, a few years back. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Stephen