Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIF

bcarleton

Am looking for some ideas for how to determine how two of my great uncles from Stratford ended up in the Australian Forces, while their brothers joined British Army.

I got copies of their service records and found they were recruited from Queensland as 'stockmen' so they must have emigrated to Austrialia before the war. My attempt to find on line passenger lists of ships leaving England for Australia, or arriving in Australia prior to 1923 have been futile.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bc

Am looking for some ideas for how to determine how two of my great uncles from Stratford ended up in the Australian Forces, while their brothers joined British Army.

I got copies of their service records and found they were recruited from Queensland as 'stockmen' so they must have emigrated to Austrialia before the war. My attempt to find on line passenger lists of ships leaving England for Australia, or arriving in Australia prior to 1923 have been futile.

bc

I apologise if this is a no-no - but RootsChat.com has an excellent Australia board and I'm sure they would be able to give you advice - if not answers!!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,165.0.html

Good Luck!

Annie

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome results! Terrific suggestion. I found what I was looking for with minimal difficulty after hitting dead ends in so many other places.

Thanks all for your help.

Hello, to find the emigration records of your relatives who migrated to Queensland would most likely require a search at either the State Library in Brisbane or the State Archives at Runcorn south of Brisbane. These are immigrants prior to Federation. After that, the National Archives would have the immigration records. Some LDS (Mormon) family history centres have records of passenger lists for assisted migrants.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers,

Ally

bc

• 3 weeks later...

Succeeded and found one great uncle on a ship passenger list emmigrating to Australia at the age of 16 in 1913. Odd though, his twin brother who went with him everywhere, was not on the list.

None-the-less, now a new mystery. I'm wondering what would have possessed him to leave and travel to theother side of the world at such a young age. Or, relative to the era, it seems boys left home very young compared to now.

Thanks all for your help.

I think at that date, if you had a job to go to, you could leave school - or attend only part time - from 12 years of age, and normally left school at 14, so a 16-y-o would have been working for quite some time, and might, therefore, be a rather different proposition from a modern 16-y-o.

I found what I was looking for with minimal difficulty

I'm looking for a similar emigration to Australia, which sites did you use toi find your man?

Jerry