Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oakhampton Camp

bcarleton

I just finished another battlefield and archives visit and am pursuing elusive information about Territorials at Oakhampton Camp to fill out the details about the movements of my grandfather durring WWI.

My grandfathers military record says he joined in 1912 and was evidently in Territorial Forces prior to being assigned to 152 Heavy Battery for service on the battlefields in France and Belgium. I also found a photo of grandfather on a postcard labeled on the back 'Oakhampton Camp 1912). This is all I have to work with to attempt to determine what he was doing with TFs 1912-16.

Most of military record was destroyed. Only pieces remain.

Regimental history of 152 HB is very limited and covers nothing of the TF period.

Havn't been able to determine if TFs were divided into identifyable units and if these units have regimental histories or diaries that I can go back to London to look for.

Any ideas would be appreciated. The photo is as follows:

post-7535-1131120724.jpg

They look like Royal Artillery and Oakhampton Camp is down on Dartmoor. It is still in use as a dry and live training area.

Cheers,

Rob

As Rob states Okehampton Camp is still in use to day in the years prior to WW1 it was used for annual TF brigade and regimental practice camps. This post has a map of the area. My next post details public access times and contact details.

Okehampton access.

Are these men cooks or did they wear those jackets/trousers for other jobs as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Great information! Thank you very much, it will be on the top of my list for a vist bak to UK next year.

Don't know about the white-ish looking jackets. The more ordinary uniforms look like they could be NCOs or something with anguillets on shoulders.

bc

bc,

They are wearing white canvas drill uniforms issued pre 1908, he would be a member of a Royal Garrison Artillery Territorial unit. These trained men where posted to the locally raised heavy batterys to assist with training.

You can work out which RGA unit he was in from where he lived, they may have information in there records about 152HB. Did the 152HB form an association after the war, you may gleen information from that.

Regards Charles