Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilfred Owen

Paul Reed

Remembering Lieutenant W.E.S.Owen MC, 2nd Manchesters, who died on 4th November 1918 - and all those who fell in the forgotten Battle of the Sambre.

post-6-1131093570.jpg

Thank you, Paul - the first of many, I expect. Such a little stretch of water - so much destruction. Always treasure WO, my first contact with the Great War, via Britten.

Is that a new memorial?

There's so much mileage in the text on his grave - his mother's travesty of his work.

As a teacher, at our school we have our very own 'Wilfred Owen'. This is Edward Webber, MGC, who was the youngest son of three who died on this date, buried at Ors also. Much less famous but the focus for our remembrance today. Edward lived in view of the churchyard in Chard Somerset, little was he to know that his two brothers and himself would die within a year of ecah other. Just three names inscribed on the memorial which stands in the churchyard now........

And also remembering 2nd Lt James Kirk VC. killed in action whilst attached to 2/Manchester, 4/11/18. Buried at Ors - remembered with honour in his native Cheadle Hulme.

James' story is here

John

And also remembering 2nd Lt James Kirk VC. killed in action whilst attached to 2/Manchester, 4/11/18. Buried at Ors - remembered with honour in his native Cheadle Hulme.

James' story is here

John

I meant to post his photo, and a couple of others as well. Kirk's headstone:

post-6-1131114906.jpg

Lt-Col Marshall VC (Owen's former commanding officer) is also buried here; he was killed leading one of the Salford Pals battalions on 4th November.

post-6-1131114973.jpg

And finally, Ors British Cemetery; one that many people go to thinking Owen is buried there, and the only one with a visitor's book - and indeed, the closest to the canal itself. Most of those in here are from units on the left flank of 32nd Division's attack.

post-6-1131115156.jpg

Guest Simon Bull

Remembering Wilfred Owen.

One of the many things which sparked my interest in the Great War was that at the poncey private school which I attended for a (mercifully) short period before going back into the state sector, we had an elocution prize for which we had to recite "Anthem for Doomed Youth". As always teacher's pet won, but it sparked my interest in Owen and contributed to my interest in the War and increased my interest in poetry.

What a wonderful poem and just one of many, and what a grimly fascinating experience of the War Owen had,

Remembering Wilfred Owen a Shropshire Lad, and all those who lost there lives on this day.

Annette

The action on the Ors-Siambre that day but have been hot and hectic, which culminated in James Marshall and James Kirk's VC's, as well as two others.

Four VC's in a day, with the end of the war so near. Such is human endeavour.

Tony

I find that photographs of areas that I have not visited stimultes a desire to visit the area concerned.

Excellent photos as usual Paul.

Definately a trip for next year,

Geoff

The Manchesters group always likes to add a little more when one of the regiment is mentioned

so how about 2/Lt W Owen's medical report (25-6-17)

43034351-L.jpg

...Whatever hope is yours,

Was my life also; I went hunting wild

After the wildest beauty in the world,

Which lies not calm in eyes, or braided hair...

Courage was mine, and I had mystery,

Wisdom was mine, and I had mastery;

from 'Strange Meeting'

Thanks for the pictures and medical report

It's thirty years since I first 'did' Owen in English, and poems like Dulce et Decorum Est are as powerful to me now as they were the first time I read them. What a loss.

Superb pictures too.