Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CinC/Generalissimo

PhilB

In early 1918, Lloyd George suggested making Haig Generalissimo of British forces, but Haig, already a Field Marshal, refused, possibly because he`d seen what had happened to Joffre on being so promoted. What`s the difference between a Generalissimo and a Field Marshal Commanding in Chief? Phil B

Interesting question. Dictionnaires give the following meranings. "The commander in chief of all the armed forces in certain countries" or "the chief commander of an army". In the last sense, it seems that there should be not much difference as he was already, as you note the C in C... My guess is that the title would be a bit above this and probably imply a smattering of honorary appointment. Unless -and pardon my ignorance- Haig was the C in C of the troops in France, but not from troops elsewhere, in this case, him being generalissimo would imply being the supreme commander of all of Britain's armed forces (wherever they could be).

(In my country the word has an ugly connotation as the last "Generalissimo" we had around was not only supreme commander of all the military -air, land and sea- but the Chief of State as well, and he was not a democratically elected Chief of State, precisely :angry: )

Gloria

In early 1918, Lloyd George suggested making Haig Generalissimo of British forces, but Haig, already a Field Marshal, refused, possibly because he`d seen what had happened to Joffre on being so promoted. What`s the difference between a Generalissimo and a Field Marshal Commanding in Chief? Phil B

My reading of his reluctance, is that the appointment would have put him in London with a new commander ( possibly of French nationality ) actually in day to day command in the field. Kicked upstairs. By 1918, he was very suspicious of any ideas emanating from the " frocks ".

(In my country the word has an ugly connotation as the last "Generalissimo" we had around was not only supreme commander of all the military -air, land and sea- but the Chief of State as well, and he was not  a democratically elected Chief of State, precisely :angry: )

Gloria

Leaving aside the politics of your country, isnt the word simply what would be the Spanish (Castilian) word used for the "supreme military commander"? Say also like Pinochet in Chile? I've never thought that just using the word in a British context felt quite right.

John

isnt the word simply what would be the Spanish (Castilian) word used for the "supreme military commander"? Say also like Pinochet in Chile? I've never thought that just using the word in a British context felt quite right.

Yes, this is the meaning in Spanish... and, huh, yes, I understand Pinochet held a similar "rank"... I equally believe that it is not a concept befitting British character and institutions (possibly the nearest to the "Generalisimo" concept in British modern history was Crownwell... and yet not quite the same thing as in our latin tradition)

Gloria