Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers Btn service numbers

tamos123

Hi All

His MIC is sadly bereft of much information would any expert out there be able to advise whether Sjt White would have been in the 32nd East Ham Btn?

Apart from his service records is there any other way of finding out when he entered his Theatre of War?

many thanks

T

Hello Tamos.

A couple of questions.

Could you post his army number,and did he survive the war?.

Secondly,is there just one number on the MIC?.

The 32nd East Ham battalion,is a new one on me.

I wonder if he was a pre war TA guy,or maybe some kind of conscript,and you are actually looking at the 3/2nd,East Ham battalion,which again is a new one to me,though i am no expert,Tamos

All the best.

Simon.

Tamos is looking at this one (from the Long, Long Trail)

32nd (Service) Battalion (East Ham)

Formed in London, 18 October 1915, by the Mayor and Borough of East Ham. December 1915 : attached to 124th Brigade, 41st Division. 18 March 1918 : disbanded in France

The RF had no TF battalions, but the London Regiments was affiliatedt o them.

However, I can't add anything more to the discussion.

Sorry,

Steve.

I can't find a 34208 James White but there is a 34275 Sjt James White later Labour Corps 62415.

If it is this man and he doesn't have a 1914-15 Star then his date overseas would have been some time during 1916 and the 62415 renumber to Labour Corps would have been VERY close to 1-1-1917, if not on that exact day.

Steve.

I can't find a 34208 James White but there is a 34275 Sjt James White later Labour Corps 62415.

If it is this man and he doesn't have a 1914-15 Star then his date overseas would have been some time during 1916 and the 62415 renumber to Labour Corps would have been VERY close to 1-1-1917, if not on that exact day.

Steve.

Hi Guys

Yes it would of course help if I quoted the correct service number...apologies...he did survive and I have his pair which were mounted so doubt he had a Star...would the LC renumber be based on him being wounded/infirm and transfered. Not a wholesale renumbering in the battalion?

T

The Labour Corps was a separate Corps like the Royal Engineers, but created on the 1-1-1917 drawing in the various Infantry Labour Battalions and later the RE Labour Battalions.

The first hundred-odd thousand numbers seemed to have been allocated fairly early on in it's life. Graham Stewart has a breakdown of which Labour Corps Companies got which number.

Most men transferred to the LC when injured, though a man at the start may well have been in a Labour Battalion to start with. Again, Graham has a list of from/to.

Steve.

The 32nd Battalion didn't go overseas until May 1916, so he wouldn't have been entitled to a Star unless he had previously served with another battalion. He would have received a new number when he transfered to the the Labour Corps. The Battalion itself was not downgraded, and did not receive new numbers.

My Great Uncle served with the Battalion throughout it's existence. When it disbanded, he transfered to the 26th Battalion, and was killed less than two weeks later. I've never been able to find much information on the 32nd Battalion, and no history appears to have been written. Don't be misled by the 'East Ham' designation. My relative was born and lived in West London (Fulham), and 'Soldiers Died..' shows that it's members were from all over London and elsewhere.

Regards

Gavin

The 32nd Battalion didn't go overseas until May 1916, so he wouldn't have been entitled to a Star unless he had previously served with another battalion. He would have received a new number when he transfered to the the Labour Corps. The Battalion itself was not downgraded, and did not receive new numbers.

My Great Uncle served with the Battalion throughout it's existence. When it disbanded, he transfered to the 26th Battalion, and was killed less than two weeks later. I've never been able to find much information on the 32nd Battalion, and no history appears to have been written. Don't be misled by the 'East Ham' designation. My relative was born and lived in West London (Fulham), and 'Soldiers Died..' shows that it's members were from all over London and elsewhere.

Regards

Gavin

thanks Guys

The only reason I was presuming the 32nd as there was a casualty with a similar 34 prefix...so put the proverbial 2 and 2 together....I could be wrong

T