Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Medical Unit & Sanitatskasten

graykcb

Hello,

Can anyone help me or at least point me in the right direction ?.

I am restoring a WW1 German (Austrian ?) Sanitatskasten (Medical Supply box) and have come across some markings on underside. These appear to be 'F.A.B. 84' (or F.A.R. ?) followed (but not immediately) by something that looks like a '/' of part of a '7'.

I know the box was in a British theatre of war as it was sent back to the Woolwich Medical Stores at some time. I am hoping that I can trace its origins (or at least the identity of the larger force to which the medical Unit was attached).

Thanks

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

F.A.R. means Fuss Artillerie Regiment. (Foot Artillery)

Regards,

Cnock

Hello,

FAR is Feldartillerie-Regiment, not Fußartillerie-Regiment.

Jan

Jan,

In that case would my suggestion be FAB Feld Artillerie Batterie.

Roger.

Hello,

Foot or Horseback??. In 1915 there was A Foot Artillery Battery which was later absorbed into a battalion. I know what which. According to 'Imperial Gernan Army 1914-18 Hermann Cron. Incidentally Foot in 14/18 German terms, means heavy.

Old Tom

Well, Foot Artillery was the original name for Heavy Artillery because the artillerymen were historically on foot when compared to Field Artillery (or Light Artillery) were the artillerymen were usually on horseback or on the gun or limber.

Independent Field Artilelry Batteries were extremely rare and did not have such low numbers, also independent Fußartillerie-Batterien were quite rare and most of the times part of a Fußartillerie-Bataillon (however these batteries often were designated as parts of Regiments etc.).

Sorry,

Slip of the tongue, indeed Field Artillery Rgt

FAR 49 : 27th Division.

Regards,

Cnock

• 2 weeks later...