Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery photo

ackimzey

My cousin supplied this picture thinking it may be related to our great uncle, Grover Carter's diary. There are no references in his diary to a Christmas celebration such as the one here. It is Christmas, isn't it?? Also no one in the group seems to resemble him (see my avatar). Anyway I thought I would post is and see what the good folks on the forum might have to add...

Ann

Well, I couldn't get it to attach, so I'll post this and try to add to picture to a second post...

Interesting photograph,what a miserable looking lot,you'd never guess they've just polished of a Christmas Feast!!.........perhaps someone nicked the Silver 3d Bit out of the Christmas Pud! :blink:

Apart from the chap, 4th Man standing, in from the left{who seems to have a US Uniform},they all appear to be Brit/Commonwealth officers

An idea-are these lot doctors with the obvious exeption of the Padre, as in the forground is a very scientific bit of laboratory equipment. Or is some one going to tell me it is art deco!

I think this could be a Christmas Party of Officers at a rear hospital.

My pennyworth.

Rob

I think the term Charasmatic bypasses apply to this lot!

Still think they are a gaggle of doctors though.

Rob

Is the one in the chair stuffed!

Rob

I think the term Charasmatic bypasses apply to this lot!

Still think they are a gaggle of doctors though.

Rob

There is a padre amongst this lot.

Also do we think that the person seated is related to Richard Holmes?

Ann,

I would say that the one in American uniform does resemble your avatar.

Could anyone blow up some of the collar badges. Yes, possibly a medical unit in that they all seem fairly senior. If he'd been attached to a battalion there would have been a greater divergency.

Julian

This is really interesting information. Grover Carter had been posted to Dartford Military Hospital in October, 1917. He mentions a thanksgiving dinner american party at "Frasnig" house (spelling suspect), 5 miles from the Hospital. However his little pocket notebook, which preceeds the diary, ends on Dec. 10, 1917. I feel very strongly that he remained at Dartford until he went to France because he notes in his war diary "transferred 21-3-18 from War Hospt. Dartford Eng. to 104th Field Ambulance".

The fact that everyone in the picture (save the padre) is a doctor, and one of the doctors is in an American Uniform offers some support for this being Grover. How can you tell they are doctors??

Gorver was a 1st Lieut. Can anyone tell if the fellow in the American uniform is a 1st Lieut.?

Anyway thanks for all the help.

Ann

The stuffed dog is hiding under the table, you can just see his tail!

Mandy

An idea-are these lot doctors with the obvious exeption of the Padre, as in the forground is a very scientific bit of laboratory equipment.  Or is some one going to tell me it is art deco!

I think this could be a Christmas Party of Officers at a rear hospital.

My pennyworth.

Rob

Rob, my great uncle (Grover Carter) was at Dartford Hospital from Oct. 1917-Mar. 1918. It is unfortunate that I have no diary entries from Dec. 10, 1917 to March, 1918 when he went to France. He was a doctor. How could you tell the men in the picture are doctors (except for the padre)?

Ann

Two of my cousins have looked at the thread and they agree. It's exciting to find another "piece of the puzzle". Thanks so much to all of you for helping me with the photo.....Ann

The two men immediately left and right (in front of and behind) of Grover Carter are not waering British uniform either. The one in front might even be Italian !?

Incidentally they all appear to be senior officers except the one first on left and possibly the chap third from right.

Sme RAMC expert might recognise some of these people - I think they have a museum somewhere.

Next step is to check out Dartford Military hospital - though I'm not sure where / how.

Hi Ann,

I agree that the gent' standing 4th left is Grover. I also think that it is a Christmas party.

I also agree that the group may have contained at least some other Doctors, possibly others who were due to be posted. The 'sceintific jar' is the giveaway, one huge sample pot!! Which misery was drinking out of that!

I don't think that the chap standing, second left has just realised that others may see the photo and that he is wearing a rather silly home made hat, would that effect a promotion?

Grover has made quite a good job of his silly hat I think, perfect 'doughboy' angle. The other chap, at the back also with a silly hat just doesn't care less.

What has the fellow with the moustache at the rear got in his hand? The chap standing first left is really trying not to laugh as is the padre.

It's possible that rather than a stuffed animal under the table there may have been several more silly hats and that after the huge bottle of wine in the foreground, which looks like it has been well polished off, the champagne with the ridiculously large ribbon would be next.

I think that these boys were trying to 'act serious' for the camera, once the photo was taken it was back to party on. Come on, we all know that Doctors are completely bonkers when they are off duty.

A fine send off in my opinion. What a great pity that Grover would not see another Christmas party like this one.

Thank you Grover,

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Ann,

I agree that the gent' standing 4th left is Grover. I also think that it is a Christmas party.

I also agree that the group may have contained at least some other Doctors, possibly others who were due to be posted. The 'sceintific jar' is the giveaway, one huge sample pot!! Which misery was drinking out of that!

I don't think that the chap standing, second left has just realised that others may see the photo and that he is wearing a rather silly home made hat, would that effect a promotion?

Grover has made quite a good job of his silly hat I think, perfect 'doughboy' angle. The other chap, at the back also with a silly hat just doesn't care less.

What has the fellow with the moustache at the rear got in his hand? The chap standing first left is really trying not to laugh as is the padre.

It's possible that rather than a stuffed animal under the table there may have been several more silly hats and that after the huge bottle of wine in the foreground, which looks like it has been well polished off, the champagne with the ridiculously large ribbon would be next.

I think that these boys were trying to 'act serious' for the camera, once the photo was taken it was back to party on. Come on, we all know that Doctors are completely bonkers when they are off duty.

A fine send off in my opinion. What a great pity that Grover would not see another Christmas party like this one.

Thank you Grover,

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for the great analysis....but I think there is a candle in the "sample pot" or maybe it's just behind it. My cousins and I are delighted with all the input.

Ann

Ann,

I had a look at the candle but I think it could be reflection as it runs right down the right side of the beaker or what ever the scientific jargon is for the thing.

Isn't this proving to be exiting.

Rob

Ann,

or what ever the scientific jargon is for the thing.

It's a conical or Erlenmeyer flask, standard analytical equipment, even today.

There's more than one on the table. I suspect they were used as decanters or water flasks.

Nigel

despite being quite old looking officers only one in the middle has medal ribbons.

Rank was conferred upon doctors in the military establishments in UK so I think these are probably civvy doctors given a rank for the duration of the War.