Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheerful Sacrifice

armourersergeant

Another for some Pals this has been reprinted and released in Paperback. One of a few books about the battle of Arras.

regards

Arm

I'll keep this short.

Go buy it.

Steve.

This is a superb book,anyone with an interest in Arras should rush out and get it.

I was lucky,I managed to get mine a couple of years ago for 3 quid in a second hand bookshop :)

Stu

Just a quick correction, it is due release 19th November.

regards

Arm

I bought this book years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also attended a talk by the author and found it very interesting.

The only bugbear iI have got about Arras is that unlike the Somme and Ypres I don't know of any book that you can tour the battlefield with. I use Paul Reed's books 'Walking The Salient' and 'Walking The Somme' a lot and a couple of years ago whilst at Heninel I signed a cemetery book and noticed Paul Reed had signed it the day previous and written that he was researching his 'Walking Arras' book.

I believe that book hasn't been published.

Does anybody know of a battlefield tour user friendly book for Arras or whether Paul Reed's book will be published.

Sean

There are three out in the battlefeild series that I know of

Bullecourt

Vimy Ridge

Gravelle

but then you probably now that already.

regards

Arm

• 1 month later...

I got a copy today, off the author no less who very kindly gave me a paperback copy for free. It looks good and I'll be reading this in the very near future.

• 2 months later...

Just read this book and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone interested in this little written about battle. well written and the product of years of research and interviews with veterans , by the author.

Lots of things in here about the Battles of the Scarpe and I was amazed at how close to success they were on the first day. The whole series of battles ended up being continued beyond the original plan due to the collapse of the French Army as an offensive force. The start of the years of British Army shouldering the burden of fighting the main enemy in the main theatre of war. The highest casualty rate per day of all the battles the British army was invoved in...another fact I did not know. Plenty of maps and photos and some heart rending anecdotes from the veterans involved in the various attacks.

Buy it...........you won't regret it

I can't buy this paperback... as I've had the 1st print hardback already! :P

Thoroughly recommended. There is not a great deal of books on this subject, which is surprising considering the importance of some of the objectives achieved, like Vimy Ridge.

Gloria

It's a cracking book. Well written, with a natural balance between the detail that WW1 'anoraks' require, and readability for the general reader. I've never understood why Arras is a 'second class battle' in the pantheon. It comes a poor third behind the Salient and the Somme, whereas in fact it could be argued that it was ultimately more influential than either. Years ago I started a database of people and places connected with Arras along the lines of Gliddon's 'When The Barrage Lifts'. I think I might resurrect it. Nowadays the eastward expansion of industry and commerce out of Arras is quite alarming. Before we know it there will be an unbroken stretch of warehouses and factory units from Tilloy to Monchy. Get there while you can!

Its a great book. Although there are only small parts on the cavalry contribution they are very detailed. On the whole an excellant book. The author is a nice bloke too. He has been studying WWI since he was a kid and met many veterans over the years.

Excellent book on a much neglected battle. I see that a book on Oppy Wood has just come out in the Battleground Europe series.

I see that a book on Oppy Wood has just come out in the Battleground Europe series.

Thanks -Its now on my list - Oppy Wood - always cropping up during my research.

Glyn