Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ROYAL BERKS REG

Guest Dan Trio

Can anybody help me find out where my Great Grandfather was in the War ?? His medals read as follows. 16278 PTE. E. BALDWIN. R. BERKS. R. He received the 1914/15 star, war & victory medals my Grandfather told me that he was gassed then moved to the labour corp,he died when my grandfather was very young.Any info would be greatly appreciated.THANKS.

Dan

If you download Ernest Baldwin's medal index card which is online with the National Archive (costs £3.50) you should be able to find the theatre of war in which your great grandfather fought. He appears to have been private 557421 in the Labour Corps after serving with the Royal Berks.

Myrtle

This is the link to the download page fro Ernest Baldwins medal card as mentioned by Myrtle.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

The references on the MIC to the Medal Rolls should at least enable you to locate his Berkshire Regiment battalion. I've not got any particular insight into the Labour Corps but his number seems rather high, which might indicate a pretty late transfer.

If the Medal rolls can't tell us anything then the date of his disembarkation in France may help, especially as he has a 1914-15 Star.

Steve.

Knew I'd forgotten to post something, Glyn!

Doesn't look like he's mentioned specifically.

However, if Dan (?) can find out from the MIC what date Ernest Baldwin went overseas then it might just coincide with one of the battalions going overseas "en bloc".

Instinct says a New Army battalion?

Steve.

Hi Steve, Thanks for the information.

I have downloaded the MIC and it reads as follows:

Under Corps: R Berks R, Rank Private, number 16298, with a small cross or x just before the R Berks R, but no mention of batallion. Under that it says, Lab Corps - number looks like 557421 (the 5's are a bit odd). Against theatre of war first served in it looks like a 1 or I (vertical line) in brackets. Then it says date of entry therein as 18-5-15.

If there is any further information about his batallion that you can gather from this information I would be very grateful as I seem to keep drawing a blank!

Many thanks, Dan

I'm no expert on Royal Berkshire service numbers but I would have thought that a 16000 number would be a Kitchener/New Army number since the Berkshires were a two regular battalions Regiment before the war.

However, no unit of the New Army Berkshire battalions was in France on 18th May 1915 (5th Btn/12th Division from May 30th, 6th Btn/18th Division from July 25th)

According to the War Diaries he could have gone to the 1st Battalion.

19th May 1915.

"23rd Reinforcements. 128 other ranks"

http://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/wardiary.php...0637®iment=1

22nd May 1915.

"24th Reinforcement, 107 other ranks, arrived"

http://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/wardiary.php...0640®iment=1

The timing is certainly about right, but really no definitive proof.

If it was the case that he went to the 1st Battalion, he may have trained with one of the New Army battalions then been transferred early overseas. I've seen reference to it happening.

The Theatre of War reference is (1) which refers to France and Flanders.

The little x tells the man engaving his medals what Rank/Regiment to put on them.

To really prove where he was the Medal Rolls should be consulted. They won't definitely state his Battalion, but there is a good chance.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

That's brilliant.

I will have to try to get up to Kew to view the medal rolls to find out the rest of the information, but at least I feel I know a bit more about him now.

Many thanks, Dan