Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

42 POW Coy.

CROONAERT

Can anyone tell me anything at all about this unit, especially during the May-August 1919 period?

Apart from the fact that they were based around Raismes near Valenciennes in June 1919, I know absolutely nothing. I take it that it was part of the Labour Corps?

Thanks,

Dave.

I have copies of 43 Bn, RF war diary which mention POW companies, 43 RF was formed from Labour Corps companies. POW companies are mentioned in the posting of soldiers to and from POW companies to 43 RF.

I'll have a look for your unit over the next couple of days.

SEAN

Dave

Sorry, I can't help, 42 POW Company are not mentioned in the diaries.

Best of Luck

Sean

Dave,

Very strange! I have the Order of Battle for November 1918, which has a comprehensive list of Labour Corps units, which includes Chinese and Indian companies, and yet of the 27 POW Companies known to be serving in France & Flanders not one is listed.

Now why they're not listed is well beyond me, but I read somwhere that having POW Companies at all, was a serious bone of contention between us and the Germans. It maybe for that reason that they're not listed?

Graham.

Dave,

Only little bit I can add is that I have an officers set of medals who was wounded with the Rifle Brigade and on return to duty he was posted to 204 POW Company which was a Labour Corps Unit.

I can only find 3 references to this unit, all location based and nothing else.

Andy

dave,all it says in the diaries for the 42 POW coy and 1st army is that the 42 moved from the lines of communication to fosse maurice sabatier,that was on 25-5-1919,it appears that 1st army were withdrawing their POW coys and replacing them with exhumation coys,bernard