Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service numbers

welshdoc

Hi all, does anyone know if there is an online site which has a list of the blocks of numbers (and year) given to different branches of the army and RAF? Gareth

RAF service numbers run sequentially from 1 in 19whateveritwasIforget right up to present day, or so I understand.

There was no sequential Army numbering system in the WW1 period,save for the introduction of Blocks of numbers for the TF{which can be found I believe in Williamsons Book}Retained Army Service Numbers were introduced post 1919,& the site for them is below:~

<:<Army Numbers Post 1919 Click Here!>:>

For the RAF?

Sorry, I just had it in mind that RAF numbers were a continuous sequence - is this rubbish? I may have been misinformed by persons who shall remain nameless.

Several of us have copies of the 1917 numbering system for TF units if you want a look up.

For the RAF?

Sorry, I just had it in mind that RAF numbers were a continuous sequence - is this rubbish? I may have been misinformed by persons who shall remain nameless.

Several of us have copies of the 1917 numbering system for TF units if you want a look up.

thanks for the offer, and all the advice from all . It was a general query as I dont understand the systems. I guess I was thinking more of the subsequent services numbering up to the modern day, as it might be useful in putting into context medals for northern Ireland etc. Also if one has an idea of the time scan of service theres more of a chance of finding things in the L Gazette as names and numbers alone often dont work. thanks Gareth

thanks for the offer, and all the advice from all . It was a general query as I dont understand the systems.  I guess I was thinking more of the subsequent services numbering up to the modern day, as it might be useful in putting into context medals for northern Ireland etc. Also if one has an idea of the time scan of service theres more of a chance of finding things in the L Gazette as names and numbers alone often dont work. thanks Gareth

The RAF numbers began officially on the day the service was formed 1st April 1918. Put simply numbers below 200000 were the existing RFC Service numbers. Numbers from 200001 to 255000 were given to RNAS men whose number beginning with F were made up into a sixdigit number by adding 200000 to their existing number and discarding the F prefix. Various blocks of numbers between 260001 to 313000 were used for varuious categories of transfers and new RAF enlistments. From 313001 to 316000 was used for men of the Royal Navy (attached to RNAS but not with F numbers) These were mainly cooks, stewards, stokers etc who were serving on air stations on the formation day. They would have had either six digit naval service numbers or numbers with J,K,L,M, prefixes depending upon when they originally enlisted. As far as I am aware there is no distinguishable order in which these numbers were issued. The original RFC numbers were issued in fairly small blocks

so that they are not exactly in enlistment date order. (36 blocks in 1917) The RNAS F numbers were issued also not always in exact sequential order, but were generally fairly near to sequential until about F5000 on when the system seems to have gone wrong with the 200000 plus system not being followed in all cases.

From 316001 to 326000 was the last block issued before the the end of the war and they were reserved for Cadets. A small block 360201 to 326000 was also issued out of sequence to Cadets (Canadian) in June 1918

Hope this helps

Regards Duncan

It was a general query as I dont understand the systems.  I guess I was thinking more of the subsequent services numbering up to the modern day, as it might be useful in putting into context medals for northern Ireland etc.

The link that HarryBetts gave you gives the Army numbers in use for the different units between 1920 and August/September 1950 (the 1919-20 numbering system wasn't universal and tended to differ regiment to regiment). After September 1950, a new 8 digit service number system was started. The first of these was 22000000. I think we could possibly be well into the 25000000 range now (my own number was 24924619 and that was late 1980's if that helps you any).

Dave.

(I do have an approxomation (within 5 years) of the issue date of these post 1950 numbers somewhere. If you wish to, feel free to throw some numbers at me,and I'll try and dig it out. I should be able to give you an approxomate date from the number).

The link that HarryBetts gave you gives the Army numbers in use for the different units between 1920 and August/September 1950 (the 1919-20 numbering system wasn't universal and tended to differ regiment to regiment). After September 1950, a new 8 digit service number system was started. The first of these was 22000000. I think we could possibly be well into the 25000000 range now (my own number was 24924619 and that was late 1980's if that helps you any).

Dave.

(I do have an approxomation (within 5 years) of the issue date of these post 1950 numbers somewhere. If you wish to, feel free to throw some numbers at me,and I'll try and dig it out. I should be able to give you an approxomate date from the number).

Hi Dave thanks for the offer the 3 Im interested in are

3287167 Middlesex Reg. (Korea )

24285915 Colstream Gds. (NI)

23830373 RAMC (must be mid/late 80's) like you (gulf)

4099528 RAF (not sure if this is a real number or not)

Im particularly interested in the RAF one as Im just not sure if its right or made up . Thanks Gareth

3287167 Middlesex Reg. (Korea )

24285915 Colstream Gds. (NI)

23830373 RAMC (must be mid/late 80's) like you (gulf)

4099528 RAF (not sure if this is a real number or not)

Gareth.

3287167 is a pre-October 1950 number to someone who originally joined up with the Cameronians.

24285915 is a number to someone who joined up somewhere between April 1969 and September 1975 (I'd hazard a guess at it being a circa 1972 enlistment)

23830373 is a number to someone who joined up between October 1955 and October 1960 (latter end - likely to be 1959/60). (If this is a typo and you actually meant 24830373 then it is,indeed, a post October 1985 enlistment - likely to be circa 1986/7)

4099528 RAF - sorry, I can't help with that one! :(

Dave.

(my own number was 24924619 and that was late 1980's if that helps you any).

Dave.

Number 24777349 was issued Autumn 1986, if that's any help ;)

thanks everyone for the help, most of it fits with what I expected . Im a little surprised with that the 23830375 appears to be a 1960s number, as its a RAMC and from the Gulf War 1 era. Does anyone know if all the services post WW2 follow the same sequence of numbers (allowing for blocks)? Cheers GAreth

Does anyone know if all the services post WW2 follow the same sequence of numbers (allowing for blocks)? Cheers GAreth

There are no "blocks" at all post 1950, Gareth. The numbers were issued to the whole army starting at 22000000 in 1950 through to whatever it is today (my mate's nephew who has just aquired his para qualification wings and joined up, I think, earlier this year has a number beginning 251...). They have run consecutively since 1950. (For example, as mentioned my number (late 1988) was 24924619. My mate's number (who joined at the same time as me) had the number 24924620).

Dave.