Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

private James N Butterworth

Guest shaw lad

Hi Everyone. I was wondering in anyone could help me in tracing my grand father who served in the Royay Lancaster Regiment in the great war.Im not sure if this is him 30687 but its the only one ive come up with.Thanks Alan

Alan

Two suggestions for how you might take this forward:-

First is to click on the link to the Long Long Trial (top left of the page) and check out the research section.

Second is to contact the Regimental Museum @ Lancaster to see if they have a record of him in their database.

John

alan,there is also these three.

pte 9555 james butterworth

1st batt

KORL

disembarked 23-8-1914

taken prisoner

entitled to 1914 star,war+victory medals

pte 15019 james butterworth

batt ??

KORL

disembarked 13-6-1915

discharged 11-9-1916

1915 star,war+victory medals

pte 15456 james butterworth

8th batt

KORL

disembarked 27-9-1915

class Z army reserve 16-2-1919

1915 star,war+victory medals

alan if your g/father wasnt taken prisoner or wounded/sick,then that just leaves 15456 and 30687 james butterworth,they are the only ones who served with the regt,30687 was also in the army vet corps

bernard

bernardmcilwarne. HI , My grandfather was wounded and taken prisoner but thats all i know, I dont have his medals.How do i reserch the two you said ? Alan.

alan,9555 james butterworth is the only one i could find who was taken prisoner,there may be some info about him at the museum,johns suggestion is a good one,they are a helpful lot,my medal rolls and casualty rolls are the regimental ones,not the N/A ones,so they are a bit more accurate,you could try the local papers from where he lived,if it is him then theres a good chance he will be mentioned in the local papers,if he was captured in the early days of the war,then you have a pretty good chance,cos he will be news,bernard

ps let us know how you go on alan,regards bernard

alan,these are all the james butterworths that i found,who served with the KORL

james,n 30687,his middle name according to the regts roll was william,he then served with the AVC as 6719

james,w 34457 then 353572 labour corps

james,l 242358 [killed]

james then 529200 labour corps

james 34449 then 27996 loyal north lancs

james 25703

james 15456 army res 16-2-19

james 15019 discharged 1916

james 9555 taken prisoner

your g/father was wounded and taken POW,that eliminates 242358 [killed] and 15019 discharged 1916.

do you have any more info that might help,when born,parents names,did he have a middle name etc,bernard