Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last Post by Max Arthur

Cotswold

Good Morning,

I have just read an article in the November issue of the Soldier magazine (p78/9)

regarding a new book out on the 10th November. It is by Max Arthur who also wrote Forgotten Voices of the Great War.

Here is an extract from the book:

Their words vividly recall the degradation and discomfort of death and disease as well as the comfort of camaraderie. Take the chemical weapon of the era - gas, which Pte Albert "Smiler" Marshall, of the 1st Battalion, Essex Yeomanry, experienced twice.

"The gas is still with me today," he said. makes me itch every morning and at six every night. You can see my skin is all dry. Tonight my arm will itch from top to the elbow. And so will the back of my neck. It feels like a needle pricking you. And that's from 90 years ago."

Smiler escaped foot-rot with the help of his rum ration. "I used to take my socks and boots off and rub the rum into my feet," he said. "That's the reason I've got good feet now. "I've got a smashing little pair of feet."

Going on the review from the Soldier magazine and also from Amazon, I think this book sounds like an excellent read. Sadly some of the Gentlemen have since passed away but they will be remembered.

You can read the Soldier article here: Books in brief

Regards,

Donna :)

:o Most humble apologies for posting the same topic three times, I blame it all on Halloween! Ghosties have taken over my PC. Or it could just be down to the busy night shift last night :D

Maybe a kind Moderator could remove two of the posts for me, one is quite enough for anyone.

Many Thanks,

Donna.

• 4 weeks later...

I have posted an article written by Max on my website as a little bit of background into the writing of this book.

This gives everyone an insight into how Max approached this latest work and might aid defining it for you from Britains Last Tommies.

Cheers

Ryan