Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper Service no. 32392

Jonathan Saunders

I would say August/September 1914 I have identified a "run" of 60 Royal Engineers (trained engineers from the company of Pfleiderer and Baker in Peterborough) joining on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd September 1914 (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) to be exact and allocated numbers in the 42000, 43000 and 44000 range.

I think the numbers may have been batch allocated by that time to specific units so somewhere just after the outbreak of war is as close as I can go.

I hope this helps,

Steve.

Steve - many thanks again. You have been most helpful.

FYI - the individual was called Ernest Bullen - he was a Cornishman and was killed in April 1918 and is commemorated at Plugstreet.

Oh, yes. the 404th FC man.

His number is a Regular RE number. He would have been in one of the Regular RE Companies then probably transferred to the 404th FC which is a TF Company.

Not sure how much I can garner from the numbers round there but he's in the middle of a few Divisional Signal Company men, but the numbers I have are too far apart to say which one or even if definitely a DSC.

Do you have a date to France for him? 1914-15 Star presumably...

Steve.

Oh, yes. the 404th FC man.

Do you have a date to France for him? 1914-15 Star presumably...

Yes this is the 404th FC man. I dont have a date as yet for his entry to F&F but will do when I next visit the PRO ... I might even pay the extortionate £3.50 and download it.

Interesting that you say he was a "Regular". Would this mean if he signed up after the outbreak of war he signed for 5&7 as opposed to the duration?? Excuse my ignorence on this issue.

Sorry, Jonathan.

When I said Regular, I meant from the Regular series of numbers which applied to both Regulars (pre-war) and, more likely for Edward Bullen, to Kitchener New Army men, as opposed to TF or Special Reserve.

All the men I mentioned above were obviously New Army men "for the duration", and although Edward Bullen may well be earlier I think it is likely that he is also "for the duration" as opposed to Regular enlistment 5 & 7.

Great-grandad 71127 Sapper Herbert Beeby, below, was a for the duration man, volunteered late 1915 (?) and went to Class Z Reserve in 1919.

Steve.

All the men I mentioned above were obviously New Army men "for the duration", and although Edward Bullen may well be earlier I think it is likely that he is also "for the duration" as opposed to Regular enlistment 5 & 7.

Thats what I would have expected. Thank you for clarifying and apologies for my misunderstanding.