Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Indian Restaurant in Ypres

iain mchenry

Something Ypres has not had in the past. For those who enjoy a good "Ruby", last night saw the opening of the Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant on De Steuesstraat. It is located off Boterstraat (Where the Sante Cafe is) about 300 meters from the main square. I havent eaten there yet myself, but a friend went to the opening last night and commented that the food was very good. Another restaurant to add to the list.

Regards

Iain

Yes, Iain , that could be quite an appealing option. Us Forum members who are also BNP/BWF supporters will be able to get drunk and abuse the waiters - quite like being at home ! (Yes, this is a joke !)

I presume Indian restaurants are more common in the rest of Belgium ?

I recall visiting a friend living in Los Angeles in the mid 70's. He was desperate for a curry and had found a curry shop there. Due to its rarity value , the prices were a bit high but it proved to packed out with a strange mixture of ex-pats and LA trendies. Bizarre.

You know you've got a huge British influx when Indian restaurants start opening. There has been a Chinese in Ypres for years but it had gone a bit downhill last time we ate there.

Indian restaurants are not common in Belgium at all! You have to go to the big cities in order to find them, and even there... So thanks Brits for your influence, finally I will be able to enjoy a nice curry only a few hundred meters from my door!

Hurray,

Now i know what i'm having on thursday night next week!

Mandy

Thanks for that info Bert. Yes, this place must be a sure-fire success. Although the name must be a mickey-take. Next someone will tell me it has the red-flock wall paper as well. But as a way of making Ypres even more of a home from home , it's a belter. The Last post ceremony, some cheap fags, good beer and a ruby. Earthly paradise.

Any suggestions for best Belgian beer as a curry accompaniment ? I used to love Dortmunder Union with mine.

• 2 years later...

is this restaurant still open ?

if not is there any other Indian restaurant in Ypres ?

Mick D

I went there once some 18 months ago (if not a little longer), I personally enjoyed, I think the missus liked it and she is not a big Indian fan, we were the only punters in there

Steve

The restaurant closed about a year or so ago, the building is for sale if anyone wants to have another go at it. The Ruffelyer a couple of doors up is a great place to have something different from what you find on the square.

And Paciv1 does the best egg and bacon roll in Wipers. I know that coz I had one in there yesterday! :P

Surely the biggest culinary loss in Ieper over the past few years was the closing of Le Pompieur! The best rack of ribs I ever tasted, and you could read the menu off mine hosts apron!

Met a few guys from the CWGC in there one night - great crack.

I am still in mourning for the Post Office Bar. The flemish stew was excellent, and the range of beers unparalleled, unless someone knows better?

I would not recommend the Indian Resturant in Ieper, stick to the ones in the UK. The last time I went I was ill for all of the next day. If you are in need of a curry I would have a chinese one there are two chinese resturants in Ieper and one in Poperinge which I have heard are very good.

LizM

To my knowledge the nearest Indian to Ypres is now at Mouscron in the town square. It is very basic but also very good. The two best Indian restaurants I have eaten in on the Western Front are in the center of Mons and also in Amiens across the road from the railway station. I found the Indian in Ypres fine if you were in a small group and the restaurant was empty, as after its opening the owner did not employ and waitering staff. It took forever to be served if you where in there and it was busy.

Regards

Iain

PALS

Please excuse my ignorance,but why is a curry called a ruby? I have heard it called so, often, but I do not understand. Knowing that you lot are a fount of knowledge. I think that one of you will know the answer.

CHEERS FOR NOW.

JOHN FLOOK.

Cockney rhyming slang Ruby Murray = Curry see HERE for details of Ruby Murray

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, Iain , that could be quite an appealing option. Us Forum members who are also BNP/BWF supporters will be able to get drunk and abuse the waiters - quite like being at home ! (Yes, this is a joke !)

I presume Indian restaurants are more common in the rest of Belgium ?

I recall visiting a friend living in Los Angeles in the mid 70's. He was desperate for a curry and had found a curry shop there. Due to its rarity value , the prices were a bit high but it proved to packed out with a strange mixture of ex-pats and LA trendies. Bizarre.

Yes nothing like a good curry and a few pints of the electric soup,but dont start slapping the waiters about the head !!