Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernst Junger Question?

the gunners dream

Hi All,

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where "Puisieux Alley" is on either a British or German trench map?

From what I have gleaned it's near ''Rossignol Wood" which is east of Hebuterne.

Many thanks,

Steve Smith

Hi All,

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where "Puisieux Alley" is on either a British or German trench map?

From what I have gleaned it's near ''Rossignol Wood" which is east of Hebuterne.

Many thanks,

Steve Smith

I believe it to be the name of the trench that follows the line of the "used" road from Puisieux (bottom right) towards Rossignol Wood on this extract (57D NE, ed.5d - June 1918). It's either this, or the "extension" of it nearer the wood (or both!)

Dave.

post-357-1130704487.jpg

For a larger, and much clearer view of this image, see the "Rossignol Wood" extract on THIS WEBPAGE

Dave.

I believe it to be the name of the trench that follows the line of the "used" road from Puisieux (bottom right) towards Rossignol Wood on this extract

...or is that what was "Rossignol Trench" ??? :unsure:

Dave. (I'll have to have a think about it!)

One of the most disappointing aspects of the Junger edition (?Penguin) that came out last (?) year.

No explanation of the German army formations, no maps, no military narrative.

As a newcomer to 1WW studires I would have appreciated such an addition to this great literature.

J

Puisieux Alley seems to be a misleading translation from German into English ; on various maps you can find either the English tranlation "Puisieux trench", which is the connection Puisieux-Grandcourt and as Juenger describes in "Waeldchen 125" of "Puisieux Weg" which is the answer to your question.

Sorry for this terrible scan, but i have a low quality copy only by myself from Puisieux trench (see yellow marking):

post-80-1130804734.jpg

...and this is Puisieux Weg, the answer you are looking for:

Aha! So I actually was correct in my first post! This was, indeed, "Rossignol Trench" for the Brits.

Alright Dave now i want to contribute to the general confusion: this trench, called "Puisieux Weg', was also called "Heckenrosen Graben" - but for Steve it is of no matter -Puisieux Weg is clearly marked as such for his purposes, (alias Rossignol trench, alias Heckenrosen Graben :blink: )

Thanks Guys. I have British trench maps of the area, but the other maps confirm what you have all told me.

Steve