Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Scott Youll VC 1st Attch. 11th NF

David_Blanchard

A Dedication of a new memorial to 2nd Lieutenant John Scott Youll V C ( 1st attached 11th Northumberland Fusiliers- he won his V C at Asiago Plateau in Italy 15th June 1918 ) , will take place tomorrow at Thornley Colliery, County Durham at 2-30pm.

Surname YOULL

Firstname John Scott

Service Number

Date Death 27/10/1918

Decoration V.C.

Place of birth

Other 11th Bn.

SNWM roll SCOTTISH CASUALTIES EXTRACTED FROM ENGLISH REGIMENTS

Rank 2/Lt

Theatre of death at 1721 London Road.

Poor chap died in October 1918.

Aye

Malcolm

2nd lieutenant John Scott Youll

won his V.C. on the 15th June 1918 While commanding a patrol which came under a hostile barrage near Asiago ,Italy, he sent his men back to safety and remained to observe the situation.

Finding himself unable to rejoin his company he reported to a neighbouring unit. When an enemy machine gun opened fire from behind, he rushed the gun , and killed most of its team and brought the gun into action against the enemy.

He then led three counter-attacks which drove the enemy back .

born 6th June 1897 and Died 27th Oct. 1918 Buried Giavera British Cemetery, Treviso, Italy . He also had a D.S.O. & 2 Bars , M.C. & Bar

Hope this will help

Cheers

Brian

Brian,

I'm going to have to correct you here. John Scott Youll was the holder of the V.C. and the Italian Silver Medal for Valour. He certainly didn't have a D.S.O. nor did he have an M.C.

He is also supposed to have had a Mention in Despatches dated 18th April 1918, but neither his service records or any of the MID lists which appear regularly in the Regimental journals show him having an MID.

His service records also show he had a temporary Territorial Force commission and not a regular commission. It is often reported he was commissioned into the 1st Bn and attached to the 11th, again no evidence of this on his service record. His first choice on being commissioned was the Durham Light Infantry followed by the Northumberland, with an added note saying "pioneers".

Graham.

I noticed on an earlier post the note 'Theatre of death at 1721 London Road' for Lieutenant Youll VC. I have seen this on other records in the Scottish War Memorial database. Can anyone tell me what this was? I presume it is a hospital but maybe someone can provide the information.

Kevin