Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trip to Ypres area last week - more pics

shaymen

A few points after my recent trip to the Ypres area which may help anyone going in the future.

Zonnebeke Memorial (Paschendaele)Museum - An absolute must, If you haven't been here put it at the top of your list.

Hooge Crater Museum - well worth a visit

Bayernwald(Croonart Wood) German Trenches, again well worth the effort of going in to Kemmel Tourist office to get the Code.

In Flander Field Musuem - sorry but in my opinion not a patch on the other museums in the area - and the most expensive.

Unfortunately Ramparts was shut (Thursday pm ?) which was a shame.

Other places I would recommend - Essex Farm Bunkers, Yorkshire Trench, Langemark (it had a certain feel to it ) Tyne cot, Menin Gate.

I especially enjoyed the eerieness of walking in Ploegsteert Wood late in the afternoon.

All in all two full days with temperatures in the mid seventies ( late October ? )

Also got to meet Frans ( Diggers ) and chatted about the recent digging over coffee - very informative - thanks Frans.

Will post a few pics shortly

Glyn

Bayernwald Trench System

post-5500-1130613478.jpg

Hooge Crater Museum

post-5500-1130613724.jpg

Zonnebeke Memorial (Paschendaele)Museum

post-5500-1130614734.jpg

Zonnebeke Memorial (Paschendaele)Museum

post-5500-1130614875.jpg

Yorkshire Trench

post-5500-1130615045.jpg

Langemark

post-5500-1130615147.jpg

Welsh Cemetery

post-5500-1130615252.jpg

Plugstreet Wood - looking from Toronto Avenue Cemetery

post-5500-1130615438.jpg

Buttes New British Cemetery Polygon Wood

One of my favourite cemeteries in the area

post-5500-1130615616.jpg

Canadian Memorial

Cloudless sky - T shirt and shorts weather in October ?

post-5500-1130615975.jpg

nice pics and good weather. Looks like the dummy in the museum sat too close to the fire. Why do they do that gore stuff ?

I remember when I went to Ypres, the Somme etc for the first and only time about 20yr ago, I spent half the time crying the rest pissed. The people who I went with one day said were now going to a highlight and we arrived at Langemark. A joke I subsequently found less than funny. It was compared to the strange tranquility of the British cemeteries a dark and disturbing place. In fact even today I remember the feeling of dread when I stood by the pit said to contain many hundreds of German dead. With Nov 11th coming up I always remember, I hope you all do to.

we arrived at Langemark. A joke I subsequently found less than funny.  It was compared to the strange tranquility of the British cemeteries a dark and disturbing place. In fact even today I remember the feeling of dread when I stood by the pit said to contain many hundreds of German dead. With Nov 11th coming up I always remember, I hope you all do to.

Don't know what it was - but when entering Langemark - I could feel myself shiver and as they say the hairs on the back of my neck stood up - spooky but somehow quite memorable.

Glyn

Glyn,

Very nice pictures, and looks like fantastic weather too. I was in the Somme a couple of weeks ago and had two days glorious sunshine (though not as hot as you say it was in Flanders) and two of grey drizzle and rain. I though that wasn't bad for October, but you did really well!

Alan

Great pics Glyn. Agree with your comment on the Buttes Cem. Langemark is always very sombre and if you visit at dusk the figures at the back quite scary as you enter.

Did you go to Sanctuary Wood museum, I still think this is one of the best simply because of the way the items are just left laying around/

Patrick

Did you go to Sanctuary Wood museum, I still think this is one of the best simply because of the way the items are just left laying around/

Patrick

Patrick

Sure did and as usual plenty to see

Glyn

Glyn,

Post some more please!!

No problems - here's a few more

16TH Irish Division Mem

post-5500-1130797769.jpg

Another from Passchendaele Museum

post-5500-1130797830.jpg

Polygon Wood