Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Estaminets in the Salient

Mark Hone

Yet another visit to the Ypres Salient, much of it spent cycling round (in blistering heat!) has reopened an old query in my mind. How do Belgian bars stay in business? I don't mean the ones in the middle of Ieper or Poperinge which do a roaring trade morning, noon and night. I mean the ones in the middle of nowhere and the ones which cluster together in groups in tiny villages. They never seem to be open and if they are the clientele consists of two old men at the bar chatting to the owner. Given that pubs are closing left, right and centre in Britain how do these places make ends meet? It is one of the perennial 'Riddles of wipers'!

Who cares? It just means that most routes, whether on bike, foot or in a car are 'wet' in Belgium, rather than 'dry' in France where the good old estaminets are now few and far between... long live Calypso I and II and in Longueval!!! :D

Hello,

As a frequent visitor of such places, I know it can be quite busy in such estaminets in the evening and especially in the weekend. You should go to such a place on sunday morning, after mass. There are often also several clubs in a café: cyclists (sundays), card players (every now and then), darts, etc.

I must admit that there are now far less estaminets than 20-30 years ago and not so much (young) people visit them.

Jan

Well, Paul I wouldn't care if they were actually open when I am in the vicinity. I arrived in Vlamertinghe on a lunchtime in nearly 100 degree farenheit heat-not one of the bars in the town was open! They missed a good bit of business I can tell you.