Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Mayes, DCM and Bar

Steven Broomfield

Just being nosey, but does anyone know anything about this chap?

6655, Corporal W Mayes, DCM and Bar, Norfolk Regiment. He died on Christmas Day 1915, and is buried at Longuenesse Cemetary, near St Omer. I see from Walker's book on the DCM that Mayes (a private) was gazetted his first DCM with the 1st Bn on 1.4.15, and the bar on 22.1.16 (obviously after his death), and is marked as being 7th Bn then. he is also marked in Walker's book as being a private when he was gazetted his Bar, but his headstone is clearly marked as a Corporal.

His CWGC entry says absolutley nothing apart from name, rank and number.

I just wondered if anyone out there with an interest in the Norfolks, or in the DCM, knew anything about this man - obviously a very brave man at that!

6655 Pte/cpl William Mayes entered France on 16 Aug 1914 and died of wounds on 12 Dec1915. As well as DCM and bar he was awarded the 1914 Star with clasp and the British War Medal and Victory Medals,

Presumably he was a regular or a reservist recalled to the colours.

Fred

Cheers, Fred. I thought his headstone dsaid 25th december, but I may well be wrong. Two DCMs is quite something, so i hope there's more out there.....

William Mayes' DCM citations from the London Gazette

DCM announced 18-2-1915

Citation LG 1-4-1915

6655 Private Mayes, W. 1st Battalion, Norfolk Regiment

For conspicuous gallantry on 22nd October, 1914, near Canteleux, in conveying ammunition under dangerous circumstances to the firing line on several occasions under heavy fire. Has been noted for willingness to undertake any duty entailing great risk.

Bar LG 22-1-1916

6655 Private W. Mayes, 7th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment (formerly 1st Battalion).

For conspicuous gallantry and initiative opposite Hohenzollern Redoubt on the night of 6th/7th November, 1915. He left our line entirely on his own initiative, got through the wire and opened rapid fire down the German sap by which they were in the habit of approaching our line. On his way he marked down a machine gun, and, in the fog on the morning of 7th November, he and one other man dug it out and brought it back complete with its tripod. The result of this gallant exploit was that the Germans ceased bombing in that immediate front.

(The Distinguished Conduct Medal was awarded in Gazette dated 1st April, 1915. page 3210).

Steve.

Cheers, Steve. Great bloke, now I wonder where he came from, and why he was transferred from a regular to a K Battalion...and where his medals are.....

"Cheers, Steve. Great bloke, now I wonder where he came from, and why he was transferred from a regular to a K Battalion...and where his medals are..... "

Stephen

I have William Mayes as listed in the Norfolk SDGW as being born in New Catton which is in the north part of Norwich

The 1901 census has a William Mayes, 16, born in Norwich and living in Catton. Enlisted Norwich.He is listed as an General labourer.

Would suggest he is your man. Perhaps an enquiry through the local paper the Eastern Daily Press or better still the Norwich Evening News might turn up more.

Cheers, Chris. I think I'll do that small thing.

...and why he was transferred from a regular to a K Battalion...

Steve,

(Steve take-over again!)

One of the most common reasons for such a move was reposting to the same Regiment but to the most needy Battn after a Blighty wound. Had the 7th suffered heavily in the preceding weeks perhaps?

Regards

Steve

Steve. Yes, they'd been at Loos (12th Divn), and had taken a bit of a dusting, so I think your point is valid. Wonder also (vaguely) whether there was an element of 'stiffening' - transfer a few good 'uns out of a Regular Bn to sharpen up the New Army boys.

Cheers Steve

PS Maybe we should have a special 'Steve only' place we could all go!

PS Maybe we should have a special 'Steve only' place we could all go!

We tried that once before. Ended up with squatters.... :(

Steve (Mark VIII)

(No not Mark. He's my brother)