Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with MIC

jim_davies

Attached is the MIC for 2nd Lt Harold John DeCann.

Couple of things I don't understand what they mean:

1) Top looks like "no R/S overseas" ?

2) Bottom left "24/2/22"?

3) The date of entry of 22/7/16-thought the date only occurred in a man arrived prior to 1915.

Finally there's no mention of a star (which fits with him arriving in 1916), but he was commissioned in Dec 1915, so why would there be any reference to his enlisted service??

His service and obituary gives no indication of service in 1915....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim

post-36-1130460929.jpg

I don't know for sure but would guess that the statement "no R/S overseas" may mean no Regimental Service overseas. I say this because only 7 days separate his embarkation overseas and his death and that might mean that he was killed before being entered on the books of his regiment. MICs in 1915 are most likely have the date of embarkation but I have seen them on MICs through 1918.

DeCann was commissioned as a 2nd Lieut. in the 9th Reserve Bn, The Lincolnshire Regiment, on 24 December 1915.

Thanks for the insight on entry dates, the 1916 date was causing me some confusion.

Could you expand on "being entered into the books of his regiment" as I don't really know what this means.

DeCann's death is mentioned in the 2nd Lincs war diary...but not him joining the battalion.

Thanks again,

Jim

"Books of his regiment" is probably not the proper way of saying it in the British Army but what I meant to say was that there was a Casualty Form - Active Service kept for each officer during the war and it listed when an officer was posted to each unit. Very often these forms indicate that an officer was assigned to a Base Unit or major HQ for some days before being posted to a particular unit. At some later date, sometimes days or weeks, the officer is finally posted to a unit. For instance, I have the papers of a 2nd Lieutenant, RGA who embarked at Southampton on 16 Oct 17 and disembarked at Havre on 17 Oct 17. From 17 Oct 17 to 21 Dec 17 he served with RGA Base Depot in the field and was finally posted to a unit (228 Sg Bty) on 22 Dec 17. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Thank you. I think your explanation helps out with DeCann. His records (or at least what I have) appear to be incomplete, and stop at his commission into the 9th Lincs and then start again with sheets concerning his will, disposal of plaque etc. On some sheets he's referenced as "9th Lincs", or "9th lincs, attached 2nd Lincs" and on one "2nd Lincs".

I am gradually getting use to service records/MICs, with 2nd Lt DeCann's being the first officer's I've seen, so your help is much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim,

A file containing his service papers is held at the National Archives in Kew. The reference number is WO 339/50759.

You can get the NA to photocopy the papers and send them to you. Here is link to their website National Archives - Kew

Hope this helps.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

Jim,

If i'm not mistaken (probably am), the majority of Officers service papers record their dates of entries. This is even the case with Officers who received their Commision after serving in the Ranks

I know it's the case on the ones i have seen

Regards

Anthony

Anthony: The majority of officers' MICs do show their embarkation dates but many of the 1918 and late 1917 officers' MICs are missing those dates. Dick Flory

Hi guys,

Paul-I have what appears to be most of Harold's papers which include most of his service except the period immediately after his commission until when his death is reported.

I don't have much experience with the NA, (had a researcher find them for me). The papers (well the copies I have) are in very good condition compared to those of other ranks I've seen. I guess its possible something might have been missed.

Anthony-I'm new to the looking at officers' service & all helps and ideas are much appreciated. Any progress in the Holwell case?

Jim

Anthony-I'm new to the looking at officers' service & all helps and ideas are much appreciated. Any progress in the Holwell case?

Jim,

At the moment not yet.

I haven't really had chance to look thorugh the diaries i have down loaded and haven't yet ordered the research, however watch this space i will keep you updated!!

I'm afraid the Officers' papers were subject to serious 'weeding' in the years post-war, with only those papers having relevance to pensions or ongoing correspondence normally being retained. Unfortunately this means that much of the information of most use to the Military Historian has been lost.

Regards

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

I'm sorry must have missed your post. I appreciate the info regarding the "weeding" out of officers file. Makes sense with what's left in DeCann's file.

Cheers,

Jim