Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chinese Labour Corps

Guest belgiumpoppies

Guest belgiumpoppies

Does anyone know any more information about trench art done by the Labourers? I have seen some online and a chalk lion in the Imperial War Museum. On ebay I managed to find two shells carved by the labourers. Does anyone have anything for sale by the labourers. Cheers

Not for sale I'm afraid.

I have two brass bowls bearing Chinese characters and signed "China" on the base.

They were a present from a Relative who was later killed in action.

I always remember them sitting by the fireside and used as ashtrays but I don't think they were made for cigarette disposal.In any event they now grace my fireside but they won't be used as ashtrays.

I also have a brass matchbox cover but I am uncertain if it was made by the Labour Corps.It has Battle Engagements engraved in English/French on a scroll on the reverse e.g Festubert,Somme,Cambrai.The work is excellent but I do wonder if the Labour Corps' command of English/French would have allowed then to engrave the words so accurately.

George

hi belgiumpoppies!,

do you ha ve access to any info. I am researching a lieutenant from 8th Battalion Worcs. Regiment attached to Chinese Labour Corps kia 23/10/18.

Nick

I have this pair of shells engraved with dragons and writing round the top, it was translated by my local Chinese takeaway owner unfortunaly I lost the piece of paper I wrote it on but I do remember one shell was inscribed The happy Chinese Worker.

I cant imagine what they might have been happy about can you.?

post-4123-1130614716.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest jolenechan
I have this pair of shells engraved with dragons and writing round the top, it was translated by my local Chinese takeaway owner unfortunaly I lost the piece of paper I wrote it on but I do remember one shell was inscribed The happy Chinese Worker.

Zephyr4

I am a collector of shells engraved by the Chinese Labour Corps.

Could you send me the photos of your shells ?

Regards

Jolene Chan

• 1 month later...

I visited the "In Flanders Fields" museum at Ypres last autumn, and came across a quote from Pastor Achiel Van Walleghem, of Dikkebus, about the Chinese labourers:

"They don't understand much about the war. When they hear a shell coming, they look around. And when it explodes, they clap their hands and laugh." :(

Angela

I visited the "In Flanders Fields" museum at Ypres last autumn, and came across a quote from Pastor Achiel Van Walleghem, of Dikkebus, about the Chinese labourers:

"They don't understand much about the war. When they hear a shell coming, they look around. And when it explodes, they clap their hands and laugh." :(

Angela

I would bet that this attitude soon changed as they learned more about the War and the reasons they were there. At first , as was the case for many European soldiers too , it would have been one great adventure until the reality finally arrived.

Roland.