Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Walk on the Somme

StAubyns

Looking through some Somme photographs I came across these from a walk I did with my wife in July 2004. We started at Devonshire Cemetery, walked to the Shrine at Mametz, continued on to Fricourt and then along the road to Citadel New military Cemetery. Before getting to Citadel, we took a short cut across the fields and had an hour for lunch at Point 101 New Cemetery. This is a very peaceful place and I highly recommend it for a visit. We then continued the walk back to Devonshire Cemetery

Thanks to Paul Reed for this walk from “Walking the Somme” – The Poets Walk

It must be one of the few places where you can stand with certainty where someone well known stood, in this case Siegfried Sassoon, when at the funereal of 3 of his friends.

post-4232-1130431164.jpg

post-4232-1130431251.jpg

Nice photos - one of my favourites parts of the battlefield to walk. So little has changed, you can really get a 'feel' for things here.

We sat at the New Cemetery for the best part of an hour, saw no one, heard no one, only the birdsong.

Most noticeable were the flowers in the cemeterys, only red roses. Is this unique to these two cemeteries?

Geoff

I have often been up on Point 110 alone. It's really evocative. Here are a couple shots of Point 110 old cemetery at sunset late in 2003.

Jack

post-6447-1130433711.jpg

post-6447-1130433740.jpg

Jack

you are right about the atmosphere around these two cemeteries - you can feel it in the daytime- it must be very strong at sunset.

Geoff

A special place, one of my favourites. I think Sasson makes a reference to the sunset as he comes up with the rations the night of David Thomas' burial. I like Jack Sheldon's photos.

I visited Point 110 yesterday afternoon - the weather was absolutely marvellous - a very tranquil spot, despite the wind rustling the adjoining maize fields, unfortunately the heavy metal gate had seized in the closed position and the only way in was over the wall at the low point at the rear..!!

Perhaps the maintenance team ought to carry some WD40..!!

Rob.

• Admin

My favourite place on the Somme, and one which hold many special memories. I went up there at midnight a few years back one July 1st, incredible. Was last there September 23rd, and it was magical as always.

I only saw red roses on the graves in both cemeteries whilst I was there. All other cemeteries that I have visited have had many different varieties around the headstones. Am I right in thinking that the Point 101 cemeteries are unique in this respect?

Regards

Geoff