Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme 13th November

griffy

Everyone seems to be going to Ypres! Being contrary I shall be on the Somme on the 12th/13th/.

Does anyone know if there will be any official(ish) acts of remembrance on the battlefield on the Sunday (if so where and at what time) or will any such events have taken place on the 11th.

Thanks

Griff

As France, along with Belgium, observe 11th November, I think you will find that all ceremonies will take place on that day. I know there is a ceremony at Thiepval on the 11th, for example.

Wrong November 13! Next year Derek Bird of WFA Scotland North will be at Beaumont Hamel for the raising of a Scottish flag on the new flag pole he has arranged.

After the war a flagpole was given to the village which was to fly the flag each Nov 13, it broke and this ended, it will begin again then with new flag & pole. Hope you can make it then.

As Paul says you really need to be there on the 11th. Remembrance Sunday is really a British thing. The ceremony at Thiepval is definitely recommended if anyone is over there - a very enjoyable French affair with a touch of English.

Thanks for the information chaps, it certainly won't ruin my weekend, just being there is enough.

I was Ypres last year, same time and there seemed to be lots of semi official acts of rememberance all weekend eg Regiments/Legion branches laying poppies and playing pipes/bugles at various cemeteries and monuments. These small acts are often the most moving.

Griffy

These small acts are often the most moving.

Well said. Paul will know more but all over France on the 11th (and hopefully for you at the weekend) you will find local gatherings ranging from a handful of people to much grander affairs. Speaking personally I love the solitude that can easily be found on the Somme away from the 'main' attractions and at any time other than 1st July. :)

Giles, a kindred spirit. Being English 13th November will see me and my best mate at Luke Copse at 11am literally raising a glass to the 2nd Suffolk’s and to all the men of Suffolk who fell in the Great War.

Naturally we shall both blame the wind for any slight moistening of the eye or any sharp sniffle. Although after a beer or two that evening in an Arras bar we shall again try to identify why we feel such strong emotions.