Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map of Givenchy

Steve Grace

Hello,

Would anyone have a copy of the following map reference?

Givenchy Section - Sub Section B.I

Map Ref - La Bassee Canal A

A.16.C.0.6 Right to A.9.D.5 1/2.2 Left.

Thanks

Steve

Hello,

Would anyone have a copy of the following map reference?

Givenchy Section - Sub Section B.I

Map Ref - La Bassee Canal A

A.16.C.0.6 Right to A.9.D.5 1/2.2 Left.

Thanks

Steve

post-357-1130415118.jpg

You'll also find another map of the same area, though dated earlier (the one above is April 1918), by clicking HERE.

Dave.

Blimey!!

Thanks a lot for the maps Croonaert! I know this maybe thick but which map would I look at (there are so many!) and how would I read them?

Thanx

Steve

You'll also find another map of the same area, though dated earlier (the one above is April 1918), by clicking HERE.

Dave.

Thanks a lot for the maps Croonaert!  I know this maybe thick but which map would I look at (there are so many!) and how would I read them?

On the website, just look for the name of a place that was near where you are looking for. In this case, it's a Givenchy-La bassee extract (I think!).

Dave.

how would I read them?

I won't go into the technicals of trenchmap reading as there are many places that you can find this info (it's pretty much the same as modern OS map reading to be honest, anyway!), including on the above mentioned website.

However, to answer this particular query, I've added "green blobs" to the above scan to show you the two references you mention.

Dave.

post-357-1130492036.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On this photo of Red Dragon Crater and Ducks Bill Crater, would it say how or when they were formed? Natural or manmade? The reason I ask is one of my relatives was killed in that line when the Germans exploded a mine under the Sherwood Foresters front line. I am wondering if the craters are the craters of the mine.

Thanks for your help as well Dave, what are the difference between red and blue lines?

On this photo of Red Dragon Crater and Ducks Bill Crater, would it say how or when they were formed? Natural or manmade? The reason I ask is one of my relatives was killed in that line when the Germans exploded a mine under the Sherwood Foresters front line. I am wondering if the craters are the craters of the mine.

Thanks for your help as well Dave, what are the difference between red and blue lines?

Red are the German trenches and Blue are the British trenches.

The craters are all definately man made! They're mine craters.

Dave.

What year is this map from?

As mentioned in post 3 on this thread, it's from April 1918.

Dave.