Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th manchester regt C.coy.10th platoon

liverpool annie

20th manchester regt

C.coy.10th platoon

The Canadian school children are trying to find out about this regiment!

Could anybody give any help please ?

Annie

Hi Annie

What do you wont to no about them

they got this information

lance corporal john morewood.No18178

20th manchester regt

C.coy.10th platoon

killed 1-10-17

tyne cot memorial

age 21

born greenhays,salford

worked at walker+homfrays,manchester brewery company.

i think his brother arthur also worked with him at the brewery

Now they want to know .....

Also any suggestions on  how I can research C Company. 10th platoon?

So I said I would ask! :rolleyes:

Annie

Annie,

I have just read some info on the 20th from The Manchester Pals by Mike Steadman page 191.

On Oct 1 1917 they were holding lines at the eastern end of Poygon Wood in Jubilee Trench.

This to me is very interesting as my grandfather William Beckett was severely wounded on the 1st Oct at the Butte, Polygon Wood

Peter

Annie,

Jubilee trench is written upside down on top middle

Peter

If you PM your email, I can send a much larger sized map

post-163-1130393871.jpg

Guest Citizen Tony
Annie,

Jubilee trench is written upside down on top middle

Peter

If you PM your email, I can send a much larger sized map

Peter:

Thanks for this. It will be a big help. By the way, I noticed one of your granfathers was a William Leyland. Don't suppose he was any relation to the Leylands of Bidston Marsh, Wallasey? The class is also looking for anything on Pte. Joseph Leyland who we think had a cousin named William. Joseph served in the South Lancashire regiment, but we don't know where or when though family lore suggests he was at Ypres, the Somme and Passchendaele. Medal card shows he didn't have '14 or '15 Star. Also it leaves blank the designation Theatre of War which seems to suggest he didn't go overseas, but I may be misinterpreting. Family is admant he did.

Tony

Peter:

Thanks for this. It will be a big help. By the way, I noticed one of your  granfathers was a William Leyland. Don't suppose he was any relation to the Leylands of Bidston Marsh, Wallasey? The class is also looking for anything on Pte. Joseph Leyland who we think had a cousin named William. Joseph served in the South Lancashire regiment, but we don't know where or when though family lore suggests he was at Ypres, the Somme and Passchendaele. Medal card shows he didn't have '14 or '15 Star. Also it  leaves blank the designation Theatre of War which seems to suggest he didn't go overseas, but I may be misinterpreting. Family is admant he did.

Tony

So Tony!

What else did you find out?

Annie

Tony. 95% of non-1914/15 Star Theatre of War entries are blank. It just means that he went overseas until after 1-1-1916.

If he gained the BWM & VM then he served overseas (almost without exception)

Steve.

Guest Citizen Tony
Tony. 95% of non-1914/15 Star Theatre of War entries are blank. It just means that he went overseas until after 1-1-1916.

If he gained the BWM & VM then he served overseas (almost without exception)

Steve.

Steve:

Thanks for the clarification. That's reassuring, since family is darned sure he sreved overseas at Yrpes, Passchendael and the Somme, was wounded, gassed and got shrapnel in his hand. Now I've just got to find a unit of the South Lancashire that matches that description.

Tony

Guest Citizen Tony
So Tony!

What else did you find out?

Annie

Annie:

We've got a guy doing some research for us at the NA. He's found a full set of files on Arthur and Sameul Morewood, but not much on their brother John of the 20th Manchester. But what with has been supplied by you and the folks on this thread, we're in good shape with the Morewoods. Our big hole now is Pte. Joseph Leyland of the South Lancashire Regiment (born 1878 Bidston Marsh, Wallasey and married to Ethel Messhem by the time war starts). Lots of family lore, but little documentary corroboration.

Tony

Tony. The possibilities:

http://www.1914-1918.net/southlancs.htm

Eliminate : 1st (India), 8th (Bulgaria), 6th (Mesoptomia/Iraq)

Possible : 2nd, 9th, 7th, 12th (Pioneers). All were at Ypres.

Unlikely : 1/4th, 1/5th, 2/4th, 2/5th (He has a number from the Regular series not a TF number, though it is not impossible that he could have served with these). All were in France and at Ypres.

Others : 12th (Bantam battalion for underheight men) absorbed into the 11th Kings Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) in 1916 so rather more unlikely than the others.

Speculation aside a look at the Medal Rolls referenced to on the MIc will probably give a battalion for him...

Steve.

Tony. The possibilities:

Unlikely : 1/4th, 1/5th, 2/4th, 2/5th (He has a number from the Regular series not a TF number, though it is not impossible that he could have served with these). All were in France and at Ypres.

Others : 12th (Bantam battalion for underheight men) absorbed into the 11th Kings Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) in 1916 so rather more unlikely than the others.

Speculation aside a look at the Medal Rolls referenced to on the MIc will probably give a battalion for him...

Steve.

QUOTE(Citizen Tony @ Oct 24 2005, 08:04 PM)

Annie:

Thanks for the prompt reply. We know that Joseph Leyland was born in Wallasey in 1886 and family history says that he was an engineer before the war.

That leads us to wonder whether he might have served with the 17th Bn (Transport workers) raised in Bidston in 1918 to  working on Merseyside canal construction.  Problem is that this doesn't mesh with family lore which holds that he served in Europe and was gassed at Ypres (6th Battalion doesnlt fit there either). We have Lee Enfield that Joseph handed sown to his son, and it seems unlikely that canal workers were issued firearms, but who knows? We have seen the medal card and not that  there is not entry for theatre of War. Does that mean he didn't serve overseas?

Tony

Tony! I have checked everything I have on the South Lancs - medals and awards - the fatalities - sick and injured - prisoners of war - Ich Dien - and I can't find anything but on your other thread you were talking about 17th Battalion (transport workers) - where did that come from? who told you about that?

Annie

Guest Citizen Tony
Tony. The possibilities:

Steve.

Steve:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you posted.

Tony

Guest Citizen Tony
Tony! I have checked everything I have on the South Lancs - medals and awards - the fatalities - sick and injured - prisoners of war - Ich Dien - and I can't find anything but on your other thread you were talking about 17th Battalion (transport workers) - where did that come from? who told you about that?

Annie

Annie:

The 17th Bn. was just speculation on my part. It was raised in Bidston (Joseph's hometown) and Joseph had been a railway fireman. Also he was married with four kids when war broke out and might have wanted to stay close to home. But this was a unit raised in 1917 which only served at home, which doesn't mesh with family's very vivid recollection of Joseph's war which had him overseas at Ypres, the Somme and Passchendaele. Steve has already noted that his medals are almost certain proof he was overseas.

Tony

they got this information

lance corporal john morewood.No18178

etc

Phew! the forum has done a good job for you here Annie ( and I hope you're still looking after Gunner Ellis for me) well done Peter and Steve

here is Cpl Morewood's name on the memorial

41916886-S.jpg

this is the title he would have (proudly) worn on his shoulder

41917474-S.jpg

and this would have been his cap badge

29451332-S.jpg

roll of honour from walkers brewery

41917997-L.jpg

Walker and Homfrays, info exists in the Manchester Archive (manc archives)

they were taken over by Wilsons brewery which is still a going concern in Newton heath, manchester

roll of honour from walkers brewery

41917997-L.jpg

Walker and Homfrays,  info exists in the Manchester Archive (manc archives)

they were taken over by Wilsons brewery which is still a going concern in Newton heath, manchester

Hi Steve !

How are you?

I don't know about anybody else but I'm seeing little blue boxes with question marks!!

That's great seeing the memorial - and I'm sure the kids will be thrilled with the other stuff too!

Thanks for your help - by the way Sidney is still looking for a home - I'll send you a PM - if I can get it to work!! :rolleyes:

Annie

Hi Steve !

How are you?

I don't know about anybody else but I'm seeing little blue boxes with question marks!!

That's great seeing the memorial - and I'm sure the kids will be thrilled with the other stuff too!

Thanks for your help - by the way Sidney is still looking for a home - I'll send you a PM - if I can get it to work!! :rolleyes:

Annie

:-) err it's chris but never mind that

all the pics are coming up for me, it might be your security settings (??)

I have to admit that I can't see them either, and these are the first pics that I haven't been able to see since the Forum was updated six months ago.

Steve.

I have to admit that I can't see them either, and these are the first pics that I haven't been able to see since the Forum was updated six months ago.

Steve.

:wacko:

hmm they come up fine for me for some reason, anyway i shall attach them rather than link them

Tyne cot memorial

post-3719-1130591242.jpg