Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Art to VC Winner

Deptfordboy

Hi All,

Don't know if anyone else saw this on last Sunday's Antiques Roadshow. They profiled a lady who collected trench art, one of her prized pieces being a shell case polished and engraved to "Thomas Alfred Jones, VC, DCM, 1st Cheshire. Captured 102 prisoners at Morval, 25.9.16"

I found a link to this brave chap on Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Alfred_Jones

It's impossible to prove, but it would be nice to think that his comrades in the trenches produced this for him in recognition of his deeds. Even Michael Aspel, who generally looks bored to death in his role on AR, seemed excited. I wonder what something like that would be worth (they didn't give a value)?

Cheers

Gilbert

Doh! Sorry about that, I did a search on Antiques Roadshow before posting the thread but it didn't come up.

Cheers

Gilbert

Gilbert,

On the subject of value, these things are all relatively unique so are worth what someone is prepared to pay. With the VC link, who knows. I spent £1,000 on a propellor boss turned into a clock and presented to Lt Insall, VC of the RFC. Judy's shell case is equally as unique, though perhaps not as visually impressive, but certainly worth two or three hundred quid of anybody's money.... but get two collectors fighting over it on Ebay, and anything is possible !

Jim