Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German 19th Army - Metz / August 1918

JustinL

I am researching an individual who was serving with 2./Feldartillerie-Abteilung 294 near Metz when he was killed on 30 August 1918.

As far I can make out this area was held by the Army Group Albrecht, which included the 19th Army.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

I happen to be reading Hemann Cron's book on the Imperial German Army 1914-18. Certainly 19th Army seem to have been part of Army Group Duke Albrecht from Feb 18 to the end of the war on the southern part of the Western front. I suspect it transferred there from the Eastern front. This book is a recent English translation of the 1937 German publication. It is rather heavy going! I will let you know if I find any detail about detachment 294. Its name suggests part of divisional artillery.

Old Tom

That is a lucky coincidence.

The FA.Abt. 294 was formed in 1918, as were 289, 292 and 293. I assume it must have been associated with an infantry division. I would have translated Abteilung as section. Are they referred to as detachments in English?

A bit of 'Googling' revealed that the 19th army consisted of 8 divisions plus a reserve division.

Thank you for your offer of help, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find something.