Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dis 392 (XVI)

vicaby

A bit surprised to find my gt. grandfather had seen active service in WW1 (although I knew he had a long army career) as he was 49 when it started. His Medal card says Dis 392 (XVI) which I gather means "unfit for duty".

Could this mean he was actually pensioned off because of his age, rather than being wounded in action? He got a 1915 star & SWB but at the moment I don't know exactly when he was discharged. Whatever it was can't have been too serious as he was 80 when he died.

His Medal card says Dis 392 (XVI) which I gather means "unfit for duty".

Could this mean he was actually pensioned off because of his age, rather than being wounded in action?  

The classification "xvi" usually applies to being unfit for further Military Duty by way of wounds or sickness{effects of Gassing was oft noted as Sickness}

if discharged due to age another code would apply,usually "xxiv"::"having reached the age of Discharge". <LLT SWB KR392 Suffixes:::Click Here>

The classification "xvi" usually applies to being unfit for further Military Duty by way of wounds or sickness{effects of Gassing was oft noted as Sickness}

if discharged due to age another code would apply,usually "xxiv"::"having reached the age of Discharge".

Thank you for that. I just wondered whether his age had a bearing on his "fitness for duty".

Any idea what sort of age a soldier could continue serving?

I had the feeling the more senior, the less active! He was RQSM at the start of the war and WO II when he was discharged.

Thank you for that.  I just wondered whether his age had a bearing on his "fitness for duty".

Any idea what sort of age a soldier could continue serving?

I had the feeling the more senior, the less active!  He was RQSM at the start of the war and WO II when he was discharged.

"I had the feeling the more Senior; The less active"

I know exactly how they feel! :D

Many WOs,RQSMs etc would have been nearing the end of their Army Careers under normal circumstances & many were recalled for Service in their mid to late Forties & early Fifties,there have been a number of threads concerning "Oldest Serving" NCO/ORs & Men in their late Fifties~mid Sixties are by no means rare,still serving @ the Front & Behind the lines @ ASC,RE, Depots etc