Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Landings

Soren

Soren,

Something about the Landing at Gallipoli strikes me. Don't know what it is but for some reason I find that particular drawing tremendous (even more so than your usual 'tremendous')

Any chance you could re-work it to make it Australians landing?

Tim L.

Soren,

Looks fine to me - but you're the expert. Perhaps it's missing a figure still striding towards the beach (like in your original) but that's the only thing I can think of.

Tim L.

Soren,

Looks fine to me - but you're the expert.  Perhaps it's missing a figure still striding towards the beach (like in your original) but that's the only thing I can think of.

Tim L.

It's not a direct copy, I had in mind the discription about the water being like a sea of blood there was so many casualties, that's why no one is making it.

I'll do an exact duplicate :)

Soren,

I should have been a bit more precise with what I meant. I thought the drawing was excellent, especially the two figures falling at the rear - something about them rings true so don't change the format of this second one. In fact i thought it was better than the first!! My only thought was that the centre figure could possibly be still wading towards the beach.

Either way they're all brilliant.

Tim L

cheers Tim,

I think you are right, I just imagine the central figure being spun around by the bullets.

It such a poignant subject I think I could keep going back to it, although I wont take keep taking up Chris's disk spce with my doodles :)

Soren

post-4474-1131038422.jpg

Gunnermatter,

I was trying to explain the 'style' of hat worn. The slouch hat was worn only by a small number of men during the landing, the vast majority wearing the peaked style.

As the photos below show:

post-2918-1131078568.jpg

post-2918-1131078596.jpg

Gunnermatter,

I was trying to explain the 'style' of hat worn.   The slouch hat was worn only by a small number of men during the landing, the vast majority wearing the peaked style.

As the photos below show:

That's right Tim. The artists and motion picture re-enactments seem to favour the slouch hat at the landing as it is a very distinctive Australian symbol..(much easier for the punters to recognise)

The slouch hat was not generally worn at the landing.

In fact the peaked style was much more common, but it quickly lost it's shape when the wire was removed from the brim & wet to make it a less obvious outline for enemy snipers.

Cheers

G

The Australian head wear was quite mixed at Gallipoli, but that's another story~

Guest gunnermatter

Auimfo & Geoff

I said style of CAP

Had you posted the landing picture ....spot on

I do know the difference between a Cap and a Hat

There are many different styles of caps

Your first example seemed to be softer than the more rigid o/r cap worn by the Anzacs.

You're spot on Gunner but unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time and it was nearest thing I could find at the time to gice Soren the idea.

Good to see we both knew what we were talking about. :D

Tim L.