Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Argyll and Sutherland Highlander army number

douglass

My grandfather served with the Argylls but we dont know what Battalion he served in?

all i know is that he was awarded the British and Victory medal and that he was a prisoner of war.

His Number was S/16567, what does the S Signify?.

I wonder if I will ever be able to find what Bn he served in and would appreciate any help

Douglass

My grandfather served with the Argylls but we dont know what Battalion he served in?

all i know is that he was awarded the British and Victory medal and that he was a prisoner of war.

His Number was S/16567, what does the S Signify?.

I wonder if I will ever be able to find what Bn he served in and would appreciate any help

Douglass

The "S" signfies a Service Battalion so that would reduce the range of Battalions he served with{or @ least started with} to 10th;11th;12th & 14th Battalions,the Service Battalions of the A & S H.

A MiC search using the number given shows a Gordon Highlander with that Number & a different number for the Arglls???if this is the same man,it might help to post his name here

Douglas.

My Grandfather was also in the Argylls during WW1 and also taken prisoner.

He had during his time 3 different service numbers, one of them being S/30729, the others were 6668 & 278202 which i believe is a 7th battalion number.

When he was taken prisoner on 25-3-18 he was with the 14th battalion.

You could try the regimental museum or down load his M.I.C from the national archives for £3.50.

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Museum

The Castle

Stirling

FK8 1EH

01786 475165

or e mail...museum@argylls.co.uk

The museum does not hold individual records but from my experience of phone calls & personal visits they will be more than happy to give you any help they can.

If i can be of any help to you then please let me know.

Regards.

Scott.