Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles

2ndCMR

New to the forum, am interested in the Great War generally and the Canadian part in it, in particular the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles in which one of my ancestors served and was killed. Also interested in the 16th Battalion, CEF.

Welcome. I look forward to learning more about the CMR and the Canadian effort in general. I'm ashamed to be so ignorant although the Canadians were held as the model for the New Zealanders in some quarters (including by our foremost WWI historian, Chris Pugsley).

Regards

Andrew

Welcome to the Forum. Always good to see new faces from "over there". There are a couple or so members from BC who pop in from time to time.

John

Welcome to the Forum, I have developed an interest in the Canadians in the Great War after researching my Great Uncle who served with the CEF and was wounded in October 1918 fighting outside Cambrai.

I look forward to reading your future posts from the 'other side of the pond'

Regards,

Scottie.

Welcome! I'm new here, too. Have several relatives in BC and hope to visit again soon. I'm focusing right now on my grandfather (BEF), but have several Canadian relatives on the back-burner. Seems like there are several people here with loads of Canadian resources.

Thank you all very much. I hope I won't ruffle too many feathers! :)

I'm ashamed to be so ignorant although the Canadians were held as the model for the New Zealanders in some quarters (including by our foremost WWI historian, Chris Pugsley).

Be not ashamed; I'm afraid our ignorance of your side of things is even greater! I am curious though in what regard the Canadians were "held as the model for the New Zealanders"?

In a recent publication by Chris Pugsley (The Anzac Experience - New Zealand, Australia, and the Empire in the First World War pub. 2004, Reed Books) he compares the leadership and battle-readiness etc. - the "fighting qualities" - of the NZ Division with other formations on the Western Front. He maintains that by 1918 the Canadian Corps was the most effective fighting force of all British armies on the Western Front. Chapter 8 is in fact titled "Learning from the Canadian Corps on the Western Front". Apparently Gen Godley (Corps commander II ANZAC which included the NZ Division) learned much from studying the planning and execution of the Canadians esp at Vimy Ridge. Subsequently, the NZ Division under Russell put "Canadian ideas" into action to the benefit of the NZers, esp at Messines in 1917. Also appears that the Canadian training methods were admired by the New Zealanders. Pugsley clearly admires Currie, Russell, and Birdwood of I Anzac; these men were prepared to clash with GHQ when they deemed it in the interests of their men to do so.

Pugsley is our foremost military historian, and currently is based at Sandhurst Military Academy. He places much stock in the leadership of Currie. The book is an excellent detailed, well-researched and well-referenced addition. It covers many topics of interest not only to New Zealanders.

Regards

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Try this recommended site from the CEF Study Group ... Borden Battery

Library and Archives Canada - War Diaries of the First World War

This database contains the digitized War Diaries of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) units. From the start of the First World War, CEF units were required to maintain a daily account of their “Actions in the Field.” This log was called a War Diary. The War Diaries are not personal diaries, rather they are a historical record of a unit’s administration, operations and activities during the First World War.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020152_e.html