Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Movement between Units

Guest falkyrn

I wonder if someone could help throw some light on my Grandfathers record for me.

He appears to have intially joined the HLI ,Highland Light Infantry (possibly under age as he was only 18 when the war ended).

The medal card for him then shows that he went to a training Battalion and from that to the Royal Scots and from there to the Engineers where he ended the war.

was such a movement normal ?

was such a movement normal ?

Yes it is quite "normal" to find movement between Regiments & Corps,often after being Wounded or Ill men would be posted,on recovery, to Units requiring Re~Inforcements,or as in your Case it would seem that having enlisted into one Regiment & then onto a training Battalion,his expertise; perhaps; was sought by an RE Unit,in need of re~inforcement

There are even examples of men enlisted into one Regiment, going to France with them, and immediately being transferred to another Regiment/Battalion where they are needed more.

This seemed especially prevalent around 1916, but I'm sure it happened during the manpower shortages of early 1918, too.

Also, some Battalions were disbanded in February 1918, forcing a fairly large movement of men.

Steve.

Thank you for the replies ... much to my regret I never really got to know my grandfather while he was alive and never gave any thought to his involvement in the war.

Only recently while discussing him with my uncle (his eldest son) did I start to discover some of the things that he went through (one of his duties was the collection of the wounded and the dead after a battle).

I have now also discovered a photograph of him (aged 16) in uniform and also one of his older brother (in the Argylls) who died in August 1918.

In memory of John Patton 1898 - 1918 and Robert J. Patton 1899 - 1971

"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu"

Thank you for the replies ... much to my regret I never really got to know my grandfather while he was alive and never gave any thought to his involvement in the war.

Only recently while discussing him with my uncle (his eldest son) did I start to discover some of the things that he went through (one of his duties was the collection of the wounded and the dead after a battle).

I have now also been given a photograph of him (aged 16) in uniform and also one of his older brother (in the Argylls) who died in August 1918.

Robert.

"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu"

In remembrance of John Patton 1898 - 1918 and Robert J. Patton 1899 - 1971