Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Change of Regt No

mickgall

Hi all

my granfather served in WW1, was demobbed in 1919, re-enlisted in 1921, left sometime around 1924/25 and was called up in 1939. I assume that because he was called up again in 1939 his service records will be held by the MOD APC at Glasgow.

I've managed to work out from the medal indexs/rolls at Kew that he served with the 14th then 15th DLI in WW1,when he re-enlisted in 1921 it was at Woolwich (so I'm assuming Royal Artillery-his father, two brothers and various cousins served in the artillery) and in 1939 he went to Hilsea barracks, Portsmouth which at the time was an RAOC depot.

His regt No when he was in the DLI was 38060. Would he have had this No again when he re-enlisted in 1921 and if he did would he have kept it in 1939.

I know quite a lot of men changed their No's in WW1 as they moved around different units but when I went from the regulars to the TA in the 80's I kept the same No so its got me wondering (I'd like to give the APC as much info as possible before parting with the cash :) ).

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.

Mick

Post WW1 Service Numbers were introduced{ie A Man was given a number that stayed with him throughout his Military Career,regardless of which Unit he was posted to,So he would have then {1920s} been given a new number,which he would have kept,throughout WW2,these were allocated from No 1 upwards{RASC} to;97100000 Non Combattant Corps,in blocks,so you would really need to know which Regt/Corps he was in originally from 1920s toestablish the Number Block.[if He was RA their Blocks were:721001~1842000],

< Post WW1 Army Numbers> Click Here

Post WW1 Service Numbers were introduced{ie A Man was given a number that stayed with him throughout his Military Career,regardless of which Unit he was posted to,So he would have then {1920s} been given a new number,which he would have kept,throughout WW2,these were allocated from No 1 upwards{RASC} to;97100000 Non Combattant Corps,in blocks,so you would really need to know which Regt/Corps he was in originally from 1920s toestablish the Number Block.[if He was RA their Blocks were:721001~1842000],

< Post WW1 Army Numbers> Click Here

Hi Harry

thanks for the info, I knew it would be to easy if i could use his WW1 No

Mick

Hi Harry

Just wondering if you or anyone out there knows when the Post WW1 Service Numbers were introduced.

I have found that men who re-enlisted into the K.S.L.I. in 1919 were given a five digit number starting 48. How long were these numbers used for for before the six digit ones came into use ?

Regards

Annette

Hi Harry

Just wondering if you or anyone out there knows when the Post WW1 Service Numbers were introduced.

I have found that men who re-enlisted into the K.S.L.I. in 1919 were given a five digit number starting 48. How long were these numbers used for for before the six digit ones came into use ?

Regards

Annette

Im not sure,I have men in the Cambridgeshire Regiment who served in WW1 who have the 5931001~ 5942000 Range of Numbers on their MiCs,so I am presuming{a dangerous thing to do,I know}around the early~mid 1920s.

The series of numbers for the Jersey/Alderney/Guernsey Forces,was discontinued in 1929,so they must predate that.