Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mons. First and last.

bikerjohn

Years ago I recall reading a book which stated that memorials to the first and last allied soldiers killed, or first and last shots fired, or something like that, in the Great War were only a few hundred yards apart, somewhere just to the north of Mons.

Needless to say, now that I need that information, I cannot find it. Can anybody enlighten me please.

I'm unsure about memorials, but the actual graves of the alleged 1st British casualty and the last British casualty (along with the grave of the last Canadian casualty) during wartime and due to enemy action on the Western Front (there were other casualties both before and after these deaths) are only a matter of feet apart in the same cemetery (St.Symphorian).

Dave.

the actual graves of the ... 1st British casualty and the last British casualty (along with the grave of the last Canadian casualty)... due to enemy action on the Western Front ... are only a matter of feet apart in the same cemetery (St.Symphorian).

You can see photos of the above mentioned graves by clicking HERE

Dave.

BikerJohn,

not visited myself but i understand they are as Dave states at St Symphorien Military Cemetery, the first man is;

Private PARR

and the last man is;

Corporal Price.

Also in the Cemetery is a VC Winner Lieutenant Maurice DEASE,

good luck with your trip,

regards,

Scottie.

Also in the Cemetery is a VC Winner Lieutenant Maurice DEASE,

Who also happens to be another "1st". He was the first VC winner of the war. His grave is also shown on the above mentioned webpage.

Dave.

Memorials to the first clash on 22 August 1914 and the position reached by the Canadian Corps on 11 November 1918 are on opposite sides of the road at Casteau, north of Mons.

Image at http://www.1914-1918.net/sacredground/monslecat/casteau.htm

The topmost picture shows the 1914 memorial. The 1918 one is a plaque on the wall of the building on the right.

Many thanks Chris. That's what I was looking for.

Thanks to the others for the information on St. Symphorien, which we shall visit at the same time.

Bikerjohn,

I am hoping to get to the Mons area sometime next year, would you mind posting an update on your trip when you return with some hints on the do's and dont's of the area.

Enjoy your trip,

regards,

Scottie.

Travelling on motorcycles, our visit will be heavily weather dependent and if it is throwing it down with rain we shall stay in the salient and leave Mons for next year.

If we do get there I will be happy to report, but you might beat me to it yet!

St.Symphorien Cemetery at Mons is one of the most unique and beautiful cemeteries on the whole Western Front. Originally laid out by the Germans, it has a memorial erected by them to the memory of the German & English soldiers who fell at Mons in 1914. There are plots of graves for both sides, some of these are on elevated terraces hidden behind bushes and trees with paths winding around them. As well as Privates Parr & Price, the first and last and Maurice Dease VC, I believe it also contains the last British soldier killed in the war - a Private Ellison, though I may have to stand corrected on that. Price died later than Ellison, but was a Canadian. I was lucky enough to visit in fine weather and it was a beautiful spot. Not to be missed if you are ever in the Mons area. The market square in Mons has hardly changed building-wise since those famous photos of the BEF were taken in 1914.

I agree Peter, it's the most beautiful cemetery on the western front. The Germans erected a memorial to the Royal Middlesex Regiment... but it was not " royal".

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CHARLIEBRAVO
I agree Peter, it's the most beautiful cemetery on the western front. The Germans erected a memorial to the Royal Middlesex Regiment... but it was not " royal".

The Cemetery is unique in many respects. When there, look for Parr's grave (first man killed 21 August, which is before the first shot on 22 August). He is opposite Ellison 5th Lancers (last British killed) in the end of the War row. 5th Lancers were last out of Mons; you cannot see the oil painting which is in private ownership in Belgium, but it is a mirror image of the famous painting of the Regiment's Return to Mons on 11 Nov 1918. In the first, there is a middle aged priest and a pregnant woman amongst the anxious crowd watching the departure. In the latter, the priest is white haired and the mother holds up her 4 year old child. The troopers are heading in opposite directions in the paintings, i.e. out of (1914) and into (1918) Mons. In the first they wear field caps and in the latter, steel helmets. The 5th Lancer memorial is just inside the door of the Mons Maison Communale in the Grande Place. Also in the cemetery, look half left whilst facing Dease's grave and find the grave of Augustus Niemeyer, a German hero who died closing the Swing Bridge at Nimy. Behind Dease is Price, who was the last soldier of the Empire to die at Havre at 2 minutes to 11 on 11/11/14. Just along from him is a marine of the RN Division who died of wounds on a train en route to a POW camp and was pitched out at Mons for burial. There is habitual reference on monuments to The "English", showing how continentals label all Brits as English without disrespect. You should also note right in the first batch of graves, CSM "Navvy" Sinton's grave. He is the only man of either side buried with full military honours by the Germans in acknowledgement of his bravery.

Thats really interesting about the paintings. I was told of the existance of the 5th Lancers retreat from Mons painting but have not seen it. An officer from the Queens Royal Lancers was asking me to keep an eye out for it. Do you know who actually owns it?

Bikerjohn,

I am hoping to get to the Mons area sometime next year, would you mind posting an update on your trip when you return with some hints on the do's and dont's of the area.

Enjoy your trip,

regards,

Scottie.

A tip, Mons lies in the French speaking part of Belgium, and is therefore the French name of the town, since 65 % of Belgium speaks Dutch however, you should know that the Dutch translation of Mons is BERGEN, it will be this name that you will find on many of the roadsigns, depending from which direction you travel.