Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembered Today-KIA 23/10/1917

Guest C729LEE

Forum

Remember a very young man who gave his all - served only months, and lasted only weeks at the front.

2nd Lt. William Henry Owston KIA 23/10/1917 while serving with the 4th Bn of the Lincolnshire Regiment.

Since buying his plaque, I have found a photograph of the man, obtained from the family, boy would be more like it, judging by the photo, he died at 22.

Like so many before and after.

Lee

Lee,

Looking through Simpson, (page 276), found this on Owston:

"During the reminder of October, little of importance occurred. Trench warfare was normal. The 2/4th lost one officer-2nd Lt W.H. Owston-who, was wounded on 21st October died of wounds on the 24th".

Jim

Nice to put a name with the face. Very young.

Yes, though the only MIC gives him as serving in the Medical Corps with the No.9.

The only William Henry Owston that served.

Lee

Lee,

That's weird with the MIC-is it a transcription error, or is his Lincs service missing on the original??

I don't have much knownledge of the 2/4th war diary, but might be worth a look (it's gotta be better than the 4ths!)

Cheers,

Jim

Jim

I will be getting the MIC in my next batch later in the week. I'll let you know what I find, i.e. send you a copy.

I was surprised, particularly because of his age.

Lee :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Jim

Sorry for not posting this earlier.

It would appear the Owston boy had got about a bit, his MIC gives him as a Cpl. No. 9 R.A.M.C., Theatre of War first entered 3 = Egypt 05/09/15 and commissioned 28/03/17. Babyfaced - yes, his look, maybe hides something we cannot see from the photo.

Yes, his Lincs service is missing - though the only other officers papers I have only say commissioned, but not to any particular unit. 2nd Lt F. Brown M.C., only the service with the 9th Leicesters.

Lee

Lee,

I don't much much (well anything about the RAMC) but die you think that "9" number could be a TF number?

Looked at Chris' main site and couldn't find any division that embarked in Egypt in Sept 1915...maybe a reinforcement for Gallipoli?

Jim