Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George John Button, Rifle Brigade???

LindaSeaton

Wondering if anyone can help.

I THINK I have found my Great Uncle on the CWGC and downloaded his medal card:

George John Button, Rank: Rifleman, Service No: S/17863, Regiment: Rifle Brigade. Unit Text: 11th Battalion, Date of Death: 01/04/1918, Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead, Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 81 to 84, Pozieres Memorial.

Can anyone tell me what the Rifle Brigade was and where I can find more infomation on them: Sorry to be thick but am not sure what Rifle Brigade means! I know what a Rifle is but was expecting to see a 'name' of something in front of it, eg KRR, The Prince Consort's Own etc etc or am I just being ultra thick!!!

Also, is it possible to find more information about my Great Uncle!? I would like to confirm that it is actually him!

Many thanks!!!

Linda

Hi Linda,

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.1914-1918.net/rb.htm

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/095RB.htm

The Soldiers Died in the Great War CD Rom gives a little bit more info on your relative:

Born: Lambeth

Enlisted: Deptford, Kent

Resided: New Cross, Surrey

Does this help to confirm his details? Hope this helps.

Steve Smith

Can anyone tell me what the Rifle Brigade was  but am not sure what Rifle Brigade means!  I know what a Rifle is but was expecting to see a 'name' of something in front of it, eg KRR, The Prince Consort's Own etc;

Hi Linda

The Rifle Brigade was a Regiment in it's own right,just like KRRC,The Essex Regiment,Etc; It's full title in the Great War is "Rifle Brigade~ {The Prince Consort's Own}",formed in 1800 as "The Rifle Corps",it became in 1803 the "95th Regiment of Foot"or "Rifle Regiment" {The Rifled Barrel being a new innovation,as opposed to the smooth bored Musket}the in 1816 adopted the title "The Rifle Brigade";in 1862 it was adopted by the Prince Consort{Albert} & became "The Prince Consort's Own~[The Rifle Brigade]" the titles being reversed in 1881 to its more commonly used nomenclature "Rifle Brigade~{The Prince Consort's Own}" in 1920 it once again added "The" to the title & became finally "The Rifle Brigade~{Prince Consort's Own}

And if you wait a while we have at least one Rifle Brigade Expert (with a capital EXPERT) here.

Cue, Stilleto (aka Andy)!!

Steve.

Hi Linda,

The general utility and advantage of raising a corps of rifleman in this country, was first suggested to government, by Colonel Coote Manningham, and Lieutenant - Colonel the Hon. William Stewart in 1799, in consequence of which a circular letter was sent to the commanding offices of particular regiments, authorising a certain number of officers and men to volunteer for this service.

Detachments from different corps accordingly assembled at Horsham in March 1800 and Colonel Coote Manningham and Lietenant - Colonel the Hon. W. Stewart were appointed to the corps, the former as Colonel Commandant and the latter as Lieutenant - Colonel Commanding.

The original corps of volunteers came from the 1st, 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th, 29th, 49th, 55th, 67th, 69th, 71st, 79th, 85th and 92nd Regiments.

Just how much information do you need Linda as I have literally a few hundred books on The Rifle Brigade.

Andy

Linda,

You can find out more about the Rifle Brigades earlier days by going to google and putting in "Short barrels and long Bumpers" Sues web page on the 95th as the Rifle Brigade were known until they became the first regiment to be taken out of the numbered regiments.

Andy

Linda,

With regard to your great uncle and how he met his death.

27th March 1918:- an attack was repulsed but on the following day a fresh German advance from the north forced the Battalion to fall back to Mezieres.

From the 29th to the 31st it held on to a line across the main road north of Moreuil.

On the evening of the 31st it fell back under very heavy machine gun fire in rear of the Luce and held a line at Domart only eight miles south-east of Amiens. The line was between Domart and Hangard.

1st April:- The Battalion was taken in lorries from near Boves through Amiens to Quenanvillers.

Andy

Wow you guy's are just unbelievable! I cannot thank you enough for all that information.

Steve: You have just confirmed that it IS my Great Uncle!

Harry: Thanks for that information - I did wonder about the Prince Consort's Own and now I know!

Steve: Expert with capitals is right!

Andy: What can I say! Thanks for that information - my Dad will be so thrilled - when I posted the query I didn't expect quite this reponse. To know how he died is just so moving. Just out of interest - which would be your recommended reading books on the subject? Just a few not hundreds!!!!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to look up the information for me!

xx

Linda

Linda,

The bit on the battalion was a brief summary, I will get the War Diary out for you a little later and see what extra little snippets it gives us.

With regard to the book, what period are you looking at for "The Rifle Brigade", a general overview of the Regiment, WW1, Crimea etc etc.

A general all round book that is not to expensive is "Jackets of Green" by Arthur Bryant which covers in good pieces chapters on "These heroes of Antiquity 1800 - 1814", "Dominion over Palm 1815 - 1914", In the time of Breaking Nations 1914 - 1945". It can be picked up on Abebooks or E Bay for about £10 - £15. The World War 1 Regimental History is still in copyright and is not light reading but a good copy can run sometimes to £200 + and runs to three volumes.

Andy

Linda,

Just a thought for your fathers interest, you could pm me your e mail address and I could e mail you a brief record of service of the 11th Battalion or I could post it here if you wish, to give you and your father an idea of what your Great Uncle was involved in during the war. With his New Army service number he would not have gone to France until very late 1915 but more likely early 1916.

Andy

Linda,

11th Battalions record of war service all sent through, let me know if it all came out OK, enjoy the reading.

On the book side, If you want specifics I am afraid there is not a book on the 11th or one written by the commanding officer of the time unlike the 9th or 13th but their are a few just on the Great War to enable a rough idea, such as "The Anger of The Guns" by John Nettleton, a junior officer in a Regular Battalion or "Villiers-Stuart goes to War" who was the commanding officer of the 9th until invalided out of the war after Loos when his battalion got cut to pieces. The Villiers-Stuart book is sometimes a little hard going as he was a martinet with a low regard of all other officers, but, he did love his men and is a fascinating account of the raising of a New Army Battalion.

Andy