Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suicide

Michael

I've come across a chap on the 1914/15 Star roll who is is listed as 'D Suicide 31/8/1919. No Medals'

Given that the man went to France as a K1 on 1/6/1915, do you think it fair that

a. He wasn't awarded any campaign medals

b. He is not remembered by the CWGC

He was a Private named Robert Jordan of the Buffs.

Mick

Michael

You give his date of death as August 1919. When was he discharged? He may well have been a civilian by then and therefore would not have been commemorated by the CWGC.

Terry Reeves

Suicide was a criminal offence in the early~mid 20th Century,and as such he would have in most circumstances lost his Medal entitlement & many other "Rights",we cannot in retrospect adjudge the fairness of the laws of the land of a different era,using the 21st Centuries values,however unfair we might consider those actions to be today.

Had he been in service when he committed suicide, he would qualify for CWGC commemoration and war grave status. There are many suicides in the list.

It sounds as though he died after discharge.

On the other hand.....

There is a Pte R.Jordan 11528 The Buffs who died 31.08.19 and has a war grave in Folkestone Old Cemetery, Kent. He can be found in the CWGC list.

It is a strange coincidence if this is not your man!

Terry

Although I have his number as G3942, this must be the same man.

I've tried searching again on the CWGC website but I still can't find him.

Mick

I've got him now. CWGC have his name as Jordon. I'll contact them to see if it is a scanning error. I've also dug out his BWM/VM roll which confirms the other regimental number.

Mick

Edited by Michael

Michael,

I have the 1914/15 trio & plaque to a Leading Seaman in the Royal Navy whose body was recovered from Haslar Creek.

The last entry on his papers states N.P.3029/15, 12th. April 1915 "Suicide by drowning" (A.C.R. informed. N.P.397/17).

He has a CWGC grave in Haslar Royal Naval Cemetary.

Best wishes Roy

It sounds as though he died after discharge.

I thought that anyone dying of war-related wounds after discharge would be remembered by the CWGC. Surely this was war-related.

marc

Marc

There is no evidence available to us that his death is war related.

Men who died after discharge are only commemorated by CWGC if they died before 31.08.21 of a cause PROVEN to be due to their war service during the qualifying period. 'Proven' is the important word.

This man is commemorated by CWGC and therefore he must still have been in service or evidence was supplied at the time that his death after discharge was due to his war service.

Pte John Jones, 1/1st Cambs Rgt, suicide 7-6-16. Listed Loos Memorial. Strangely he is the only man from the btn who died at this time not buried. Funny how he has no known grave!

• 2 weeks later...

I have received confirmation from the CWGC that all their records show him as JORDON. My records in the MICs and medal rolls have him as JORDAN.

Having seen many mistakes in the MICs/medal rolls, it may be that the army got it wrong. However, I have seen that there is an entry for the death of a 29 year old ROBERT JORDAN recorded in Thanet for the third quarter of 1919. What I need to do now is:

Obtain a death certificate

Check if his service record exists

Check the spelling on his grave stone

Report back to CWGC with my findings

Mick Mills