Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flt Sub Maurice Eppstein RNAS

Patrick H

Another name on the Lambourne Churchyard memorial. I cant find him on the CWGC site. And what does RNAS stand for?

Patrick

Could this be the entry?

Name: EPPSTEIN, MAURICE WILLIAM WALLIS

Initials: M W W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Naval Air Service

Date of Death: 12/05/1917

Additional information: Son of the Rev. William Charles Eppstein, D.D., and Mrs. Margaret Beatrice Eppstein, of Lambourne Rectory, Romford, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. A. 16.

Cemetery: DUNKIRK TOWN CEMETERY

According to Sturtivant and Page Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units 1911-1918: Ft Lt Eppstein was flying Sopwith Triplane N5456 it was ‘shot down by AA fire over Zeebrugge and crashed in sea near Blankenberghe. ‘

Thats the chap, many thanks. Don't know why I couldn't find him. As Lambourne Church is right beside Stapleford airfield and I believe this was started as an air base during 1WW I wonder if there was any connection between Eppstein and the airfield. Perhaps he could have flown his Sopwith home for the weekend ?

Patrick

Patrick

Sturtivant and Page also show him and the same plane going down in flames on 6/5/17. Put a post in the air services forum and see if you can get any more information; his RNAS records at Kew should be in ADM 273 and there are other records at the FAA Museum.

As for weekend jaunts, Chingford was the major RNAS airfield in the area. I doubt that a Sopwith would have the endurance to get him home and he would need a very good reason to take a front line aircraft out of service. Also given that the RAF had just suffered “Bloody April,” joy rides were unlikely to be acceptable.

Fred

Thanks for your help Fred, would you perchance have a pic of the Sopwith in question so I can add it to his notes

Patrick

I didnt mean his sopwith, just a photo of any sopwith

Patrick

"In their search for an outstanding fighting aeroplane the Sopwith experimental department decided in early 1916 to build an entirely new design--a triplane.

(Photo - National Aviation Museum). "www.aviation-history.com

Good site

RAF Museum

post-5692-1130346918.jpg