Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Rolls

trooper

Would a soldier who transferred from one regiment to another have his name recorded on the 14-15 Star medal roll of his original or new unit? If it is the latter would any reference be made to service in his old unit including former regimental number?

Trooper

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Taking a case study, my wife's grandfather first served overseas in 1915 with the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He then transferred to the MGC in January 1916. His entry for the 14/15 Star is on the medal roll of the MGC.

Ian :)

Thanks Ian

Did it make any reference to your wife's Grandfather's previous service with the Royal Irish Fusiliers on the MGC medal roll?

Any chance that your wife's Grandfather might have served with either the 5th or 6th Royal Irish Fusiliers, if so I would be interested in any information you might have about him.

Trooper

Would a soldier who transferred from one regiment to another have his name recorded on the 14-15 Star medal roll of his original or new unit? If it is the latter would any reference be made to service in his old unit including former regimental number?

I have found that some men who appear on the 1914-15 Star Roll for the 19th London Regiment do not appear on the War Medal & Victory Medal Roll for the 19th. In some cases I know these men were transferred as they appear in SDITGW as listed under another Battalion of the London Regt, and I am hoping to find them in the WM&VM Rolls for the other Battalions. The 2nd and 4th Londons received particularly big drafts of 19th London Men.

This would appear to differ from the example given by Ian, but may just be a peculiarity resulting from the unusual nature and structure of the London Regiment.

I should be able to give you a better answer once I have finished going through all the rolls of the London Regt. This will be a while yet though.

My grandfather's MIC and entries in the medal rolls indicate that his 1915 Star was awarded through his service with his first battalion (7th South Staffs), and his British War and Victory medals through his second, 11th Sherwood Foresters. It seems that there was more than one way to skin this particular cat! Interesting though.

It doesn't seem to be an exact science (anyone who knows better, please, please, please after 28 years of medal collecting, I'm willing- begging - to be enlightened).

I've seen so many MGC MICs where a soldier qualified 1914-15 Star with a regiment, his pair is on the MIC as 'MGC', on the MGC roll as MGC ... but all three (as indicated by that 'X' with dots in the crossings') are named 'RWF/RFA/R Berks whatever...).

Conversely, qualified as 1234 MGC for a pair.... later became 5678 Lab Corps - as shown on MIC - but medals named MGC.

What WAS the policy?