Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC / RWF FRANCE THEATRE

Guest M33GSB

Can any one help - I am researching my late grandfathers activities in WW1. His medal index card states that he was a private in the ASC, and went to France in the summer of 1915.

His medal card goes on to say that by 1917 he was a 2nd Lt in the Royal Welsh, and I have found out that by this time he had been posted to Ireland.

I have three real questions, which I havent been able to find the answers to......

1. Where can I find out more about the ASC in France in 1915-17 - and in particular where he might have been.....

2. Was it common for privates to be promoted to Officers, and completely change Regiments ?

3. Does anyone have any information about waht the RWF were doing in Ireland in from 1917 onwards ?

Any help gratefully appreciated..

Many thanks

The ASC was the largest Corps in France and its soldiers worked from the dockside forward to divisional areas. Col Mike Young's history will give you an overall picture but unless you have his service record, it will be difficult to track down the units in which he served.

ASC Soldiers were commissioned into many capbadges, including the infantry, as well as their own Corps; as for the Royal Welsh, the could well have been on security duties (following the Easter Rising) or on training.

Can any one help - I am researching my late grandfathers activities in WW1. His medal index card states that he was a private in the ASC, and went to France in the summer of 1915.

His medal card goes on to say that by 1917 he was a 2nd Lt in the Royal Welsh, and I have found out that by this time he had been posted to Ireland.

I have three real questions, which I havent been able to find the answers to......

1. Where can I find out more about the ASC in France in 1915-17 - and in particular where he might have been.....

2. Was it common for privates to be promoted to Officers, and completely change Regiments ?

3. Does anyone have any information about waht the RWF were doing in Ireland in from 1917 onwards ?

Any help gratefully appreciated..

Many thanks

Delta - thank you - How would I go about finding his service record ?

(Sorry to ask what might be a basic question, but am new to this)

I suggets that you use the "Long Long Trail" link at the top left of this page and follow the hints - Chris explains it much more effectively than I could. :D